Veggie Storage?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RHEMTB

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Montana, USA
What are some things everyone does to keep their vegetables fresh for longer? Currently, I chop my staple diet for my tortoise and place it into baggies lined with paper towel. Since I usually don't use the whole wrap of leaves, I wrap the rest of that up and place it into a Subway bag to keep fresh. Any other advice on keeping things fresh and green without the horrible odour?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I have always heard not to wash them until you are ready to use them. I have done that and they last a long time. A glass bowl as makes them last longer then plastic. I store mine in a plastic frig crisper draw. Place a damp towel over them. Keep the towel damp. They last for about a week to two. Except the dandelion greens. I can't get them to last much past 5-6 days without starting to get mushy. I just recently changed my routine, as I have a frig in the tort house. I now wash them and then place in the torts frig crisper. Does not work as good at all. Will be switching back.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
Last fall as a test I tried keeping dandelion leaves covered in water in a closed container and they lasted for weeks, They were picked and in the water with ice cubes and placed in the fridge in a matter of minutes. I think this also played a factor for them lasting so long.

Status
Not open for further replies.