Rehab time for baby leopard tort

GaiasFamily

Location (City and/or State)
Austin
Newbie here and how I wish I’d found this site earlier! We got a baby leopard tortoise three weeks ago from an exotic pet store, and we’ve had good results from them in the past. But I’m now realizing that we were advised very wrong about tortoise care care!
I am now following all the guidelines from Tom’s guide and also giving baby food vitamin baths several times a day to correct what I suspect is dehydration and vitamin A deficiency. I’m getting the recommended eyedrop today. How quickly should I see an improvement and appetite and activity level once I have corrected the enclosure climate? Gaia is 33g grams today, and she hasn’t eaten in three days.
TIA for any guidance, and I appreciate y’all!

Attachments

• IMG_8121.jpeg
    IMG_8121.jpeg
    515.2 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_8118.jpeg
    IMG_8118.jpeg
    575 KB · Views: 1

zovick

10 Year Member!
Newbie here and how I wish I’d found this site earlier! We got a baby leopard tortoise three weeks ago from an exotic pet store, and we’ve had good results from them in the past. But I’m now realizing that we were advised very wrong about tortoise care care!
I am now following all the guidelines from Tom’s guide and also giving baby food vitamin baths several times a day to correct what I suspect is dehydration and vitamin A deficiency. I’m getting the recommended eyedrop today. How quickly should I see an improvement and appetite and activity level once I have corrected the enclosure climate? Gaia is 33g grams today, and she hasn’t eaten in three days.
TIA for any guidance, and I appreciate y’all!
You seem to be doing the right things now, but from the appearance of the tortoise in the photos, the lack of appetite, and the very low weight, I would say that you should most likely prepare for the worst. If you are able to pull the animal through, it will be a great achievement, but it is probably not overly likely.

That being said, are you keeping it warm and in a closed chamber with high humidity? If not, that should be very beneficial. I would recommend a temperature of 88-90F throughout the enclosure, with just a slight drop to 85F at night. I would not bother with a basking area for that tortoise at this point as it would possibly further dehydrate it, even in the closed chamber. A basking area and bulb could be added in a couple of weeks if the tortoise recovers and becomes more active.

Good luck!

The_Four_Toed_Edward

Finland
Are her eyes closed? Usually baby food baths get them opened in 3 to 4 days. After this their appetite should perk back up.

After you get her weight up, her overall behavior should improve too.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I agree with Zovick on preparing yourself for the worst.
I disagree about the basking light. I would keep temps at 85 day and night and have the normal basking of 95-100. Basking temp is for digestion and keeping things inside moving properly.
Be sure humidity is 80%.
Add piedialyte to the soak water too.

GaiasFamily

Austin
You seem to be doing the right things now, but from the appearance of the tortoise in the photos, the lack of appetite, and the very low weight, I would say that you should most likely prepare for the worst. If you are able to pull the animal through, it will be a great achievement, but it is probably not overly likely.

That being said, are you keeping it warm and in a closed chamber with high humidity? If not, that should be very beneficial. I would recommend a temperature of 88-90F throughout the enclosure, with just a slight drop to 85F at night. I would not bother with a basking area for that tortoise at this point as it would possibly further dehydrate it, even in the closed chamber. A basking area and bulb could be added in a couple of weeks if the tortoise recovers and becomes more active.

Good luck!
Yes we moved to closed chamber on Sunday and have been maintaining those temps.
Should I take the tort to a reptile vet? Or is there likely nothing more they could do than we are doing at home?

GaiasFamily

Austin
I agree with Zovick on preparing yourself for the worst.
I disagree about the basking light. I would keep temps at 85 day and night and have the normal basking of 95-100. Basking temp is for digestion and keeping things inside moving properly.
Be sure humidity is 80%.
Add piedialyte to the soak water too.
Thank you! I’ll add a basking zone and am keeping pedialyte in the soaks and water bowls. Should I try to syringe feed the baby food or pedialyte?

GaiasFamily

Austin
Thank you! I’ll add a basking zone and am keeping pedialyte in the soaks and water bowls. Should I try to syringe feed the baby food or pedialyte?
And would there be any vet care that could make a lifesaving difference at this point?

GaiasFamily

Austin
Are her eyes closed? Usually baby food baths get them opened in 3 to 4 days. After this their appetite should perk back up.

After you get her weight up, her overall behavior should improve too.
She opens them sometimes in the soak, when she’s trying to climb her way out… but keeps them closed mostly. They seem less puffy today but still not healthy. Would you suggest trying to syringe feed?

GaiasFamily

Austin
She opens them sometimes in the soak, when she’s trying to climb her way out… but keeps them closed mostly. They seem less puffy today but still not healthy. Would you suggest trying to syringe feed?
Today is Day 2 of the baby food baths

The_Four_Toed_Edward

Finland
I wouldn't suggest syringe feeding. It is hard to do and very risky, sometimes leads to chocking. Since this is only the second day of baby food soaks, I would still wait to the fourth day + using the eye drops before getting worried about his eyes not improving.

Unfortunately, we have seen many times that tortoises with eye problems lose their appetiete which can be dngerous to small tortoises. Their appetite usually comes back once they get their eyes open.

I would offer food right after soaks and always if you see her eyes open. These are the moments you might get her to eat.