verify if greek

Status
Not open for further replies.

bamboo28

5 Year Member
Hi all. I got a tortoise from a neighbor and am not sure exactly what type he is. I have been told he is possibly a greek. I have attached pictures so if any could confirm or advise what he is that would be great, and any helpful information taking care of him.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    44.8 KB · Views: 93
  • 2.png
    2.png
    53.2 KB · Views: 73

Balboa

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
PNW
yah kinda looks greek to me (not the id expert though)

look for spurs on the thighs (take a picture of his hiney and post it if you don't know what I mean)

Alot of the Hermann's info can apply to a greek as well, so check out the Hermann's Caresheet.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Welcome to the forum!

I have a hard time telling Greeks and Hermanns apart, but the care for each is very similar. There are others here that can ID it for you for sure ;)

Here is an article I wrote for beginner tortoise owners, it will give you a lot of information on enclosures, substrates, lights, etc. and has a link to a nutrition article that I also wrote that will make feeding your little guy a little easier.

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread...ive-or-Beginner-Tortoise-Owners#axzz1DBpybqNu

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Welcome to the group and congrats on the new addition! If you can get us more pics it would be helpful. My guess is Hermanns. :) In the meantime, Hermanns and Greek care is similar enough that you can get a head start. If you can't get it outside on an almost daily basis, you need a good UVB bulb like a Mercury Vapor Bulb. Mega Ray and T-Rex Active UV Heat are my two favorites, Powersun is second. You set those up in a ceramic socket deep dome fixture with a lamp stand. If he hasn't had UVB or has a lesser quality bulb, that is a pretty big priority, in addition to pure calcium powder. Do you know how old? Looks pretty small in the photo, but past the fragile stage thankfully.

bamboo28

5 Year Member
Thanks for the replies. I'm on mobile right now, but I will post more pics later. I was told he's about 3 years? I don't think they gave him the care he needed, he does have a heat lamp, the night lamp & the long lght but I don't see uvb on the bulb, I'm going ti get a new one. He also seems to have a problem with his eye, going to take him to the vet tomorrow or Tuesday.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Looks to be an Eastern Hermann's tortoise Testudo hermanni boettgeri. A photo of the plastron (bottom shell) could confirm whether it's an Eastern or Dalmatian. Regardless of which it may be, the care, along with Ibera Greeks, is essentially the same.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi bamboo28:

Welcome to the forum!!

May we know your name and where you are?

(Gary and Paige: You guys are good! They all look the same to me)

tortoises101

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
GBtortoises said:
Looks to be an Eastern Hermann's tortoise Testudo hermanni boettgeri. A photo of the plastron (bottom shell) could confirm whether it's an Eastern or Dalmatian. Regardless of which it may be, the care, along with Ibera Greeks, is essentially the same.

I agree.

bamboo28

5 Year Member
Thanks for the info. Here are a few more pictures. My name is Lynn and I am in California. Hades is doing great, had to get some antibiotics for his eye, and it's all cleared up now and he is eating very well. :)

Attachments

• 3.png
    3.png
    87.9 KB · Views: 35
  • 4.png
    4.png
    39.3 KB · Views: 30
  • 5.png
    5.png
    48.6 KB · Views: 23
Status
Not open for further replies.