Very unsettled Hermann

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andrea M

5 Year Member
Hokie is a 9 month old Hermann, due to the nice weather recently he has spent lots of time in his outdoor enclosure but its raised 2 problems. We live in the uk.

1. He still seems to get quite cold when he's out and I don't have any power outside to put up a lamp. Is it bad for him to be cold for a couple of hours? It's not wet outside when he's out, but could it make him I'll?

2. When I bring him in and put him back in his table he goes nuts, pacing around, climbing the edges of the table and trying to get out, he's never done this before and has a really interactive and varied set up in his table with rocks, tunnels, logs, plants, sightlines and bridges. Any ideas what I can do to stop this, I can't leave him out all night?!

Please help

Andrea & Hokie x

luvpetz27

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio USA
I wish I could help you.I am sure someone will reply to you soon that can.
If he gets cold, he would probably burry himself.....Is there loose dirt in his enclosure?

mikeh

5 Year Member
He now knows the grass is greener on the other side:).

sent from mobile device using TFO app

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Beaumont, CA.
Can you give us a good picture of his inside enclosure?
How cold is cold, outside?

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Andrea M said:
Hokie is a 9 month old Hermann, due to the nice weather recently he has spent lots of time in his outdoor enclosure but its raised 2 problems. We live in the uk.

1. He still seems to get quite cold when he's out and I don't have any power outside to put up a lamp. Is it bad for him to be cold for a couple of hours? It's not wet outside when he's out, but could it make him I'll?
What temperatures are you considering as cold? Generally, tortoises, especially northern species are not warm at all times. But there are limitations, both low and high temperatures.

2. When I bring him in and put him back in his table he goes nuts, pacing around, climbing the edges of the table and trying to get out, he's never done this before and has a really interactive and varied set up in his table with rocks, tunnels, logs, plants, sightlines and bridges. Any ideas what I can do to stop this, I can't leave him out all night?!
It is happening because your tortoise is coming in from out where it's colder into a warmer environment. It's not unusual for some tortoises to do so. There is no harm in it and no real reason to stop it from happening.

Please help

Andrea & Hokie x

Joanne

10 Year Member!
Lancashire, UK
My Hermann has being going crazy these last few days too. Pacing up and down his ramp. I have put him outside today because it is warm enough and thought he could use the extra space!

I'm up in Lancashire, so it's not been perfect for him to go outside. Where are you?

Maybe there is a scent in the air!

Andrea M

5 Year Member
I'm in coventry, it's really strange how its just started though isn't it?

Joanne

10 Year Member!
Lancashire, UK
I re-arranged the enclosure a few days ago, so I think that it is related to that! I like to keep things fresh :p

thatrebecca

5 Year Member
Los Angeles, CA
When we adopted our CDTs this spring, they had been living indoors. We moved them to living 90% outdoors, and they loved it. The only problem was coming in at night. Boy did it make them antsy once they'd had a taste of the outdoors! This may not be an option in your climate, but I wait to bring them in until after dusk, when they've cooled down for the evening. I also make sure their indoor enclosure is dark and set up for bed time.

Joanne

10 Year Member!
Lancashire, UK
my problem with keeping mine outside permanently, apart from the temperature, is that we have an issue with rats around here and Shermann's enclosure won't keep rats out. I think I'd have to make the mesh smaller in order for it to be rat proof. Ergh. Hate the things!

Andrea M

5 Year Member
Here are some pictures of Hokies table taken today, I have had to re-arrange a bit as he keeps flipping himself over on anything near the edges, all constructive comments welcome

ImageUploadedByTortForum1377286557.199158.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortForum1377286615.452586.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortForum1377286645.166692.jpg

Temps outside are 15-20 degrees C at the moment but he still feels cold when I bring him in

Last edited by a moderator:

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Beaumont, CA.
Your indoor enclosure is really nice!
Mine stays outside in nice Southern Calif. weather, except in the winter.
She stomps all around her outdoor enclosure.
Maybe he just needs more excercise.

thatrebecca

5 Year Member
Los Angeles, CA
That's an awfully nice setup. How long have you had Hokie? One thing I've noticed is that my torts get super restless when I modify their enclosure. It usually lasts a day or two and then they settle down.

Andrea M

5 Year Member
Thanks guys, had him 6 months now and I'm besotted, normally he 'investigates' new set ups, but he's still pacing like a mad thing. He kind of reminds me of a tiger in an enclosure that's too small at the zoo. Just mmakes me sad to think of him unhappy

Status
Not open for further replies.