VET WARNING!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

grettas mom

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Wisconsin
Dr. Work at Greenfield Vet Clinic does not know anything about tortoises! I took Gretta in for her re-check to make sure she is healthy after her case of hook worms, I normally work with Dr. Taylor but they put me with Dr. Work and after talking to him, I questioned him on his input aboiut substrate, just to see what he says and he told me toeither use PINE bedding or a carpet with Gretta!!! I couldnt believe what i was hearing!! I use coconut coir and sphagnum moss for her and she seems to be doing well with it and he said Im using an incorrect substrate for her. After he said that, I knew I was never going to let him see Gretta. He also told me she should be getting more protein than leafy greens. I know she needs protein, but shes a tortoise, she needs more leafy green than protein. He even gave me a box turtle care guide to follow when feeding, instead of at tortoise one.

dreadyA

5 Year Member
southern cal.
Not all vets are reptile experts. Maggie made a really great exotic vet list for most states. Check it out

matt41gb

5 Year Member
Arlington TX.
I agree. The vet I work for asks me questions on how to care for them all the time, he hasn't a clue. He doesn't own any but the thinks they're cool. Red Foots can have more animal matter than most tortoises so their care is very similar to a box turtle. I keep my red foots with my box turtles under the same care and they do wonderful.

In the wild red foots will eat dead animals, just as a sulcata will. It seems weird to think about that but it's true. Red foots love to eat earthworms and who knows how many they eat in the wild, we'll never know.

I don't agree with the choice of substrate that he recommended at all. Too dry for a red foot, what you're using is perfect for humidity purposes.

It would be nice if more vets took interest in tortoises. Until then, we can help educate them. :O)

-Matt

M

Maggie Cummings

You guys need to realize that I just called them all to make sure they see exotics. I DON'T know what kind of Vet they are, good or bad. So in a case like this you need to shoot me his name and address so I can take him off the list if he is on it. I don't know about the Vets, I just have their names...so please don't think that I created the Vet list and am recommending any of them...
Send me this guys name and address so I can remove him if needed please...

grettas mom

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
maggie3fan said:
You guys need to realize that I just called them all to make sure they see exotics. I DON'T know what kind of Vet they are, good or bad. So in a case like this you need to shoot me his name and address so I can take him off the list if he is on it. I don't know about the Vets, I just have their names...so please don't think that I created the Vet list and am recommending any of them...
Send me this guys name and address so I can remove him if needed please...
Greenfield Vet Clinic
The address is 5981 S. 27th Street
Milwaukee WI 53221
Dr. Work is the BAD vet

However, Dr Christian Taylor is an awesome vet at Greenfield Vet Clinic. He knows quite a bit of CORRECT info about tortoises in general and if he does not know the answer, he is not afraid to admit it and will make every attempt at finding the answer for you. He will not hide how he feels about your situation. He is a very open, honest, and caring vet. I definetely recommend him! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.