Viable Egg??

Carrie

I have a 3 week old Russian tortoise egg. When candling it today I noticed there was an air bubble on the side of the egg. The yolk is sitting on the bottom of the egg and has a black spot in the middle of the yolk. As of right now I do not see any veins, so does this means the egg is not fertile? If anyone knows anything about this please let me know. Thanks

Carrie

I have a 3 week old Russian tortoise egg. When candling it today I noticed there was an air bubble on the side of the egg. The yolk is sitting on the bottom of the egg and has a black spot in the middle of the yolk. As of right now I do not see any veins, so does this means the egg is not fertile? If anyone knows anything about this please let me know. Thanks

image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

HLogic

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Florida, USA
It doesn't look bad but like you mentioned, no veins either.

Carrie

It doesn't look bad but like you mentioned, no veins either.
Thanks. She actually had two eggs. The other one has nothing in it that I can see. She had 1 egg last year and it was not fertile either. So I'm hoping one of them is fertile this time.

smarch

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
I don't have experience with eggs... but if the other one did nothing at all and this one at least did a little I think its worth keeping for a while... its weird that there's no veins but it seems like something is definitely going on... or something had started going on.

Anyways I wish you the best of luck for a baby tort!

HLogic

5 Year Member
Florida, USA
Thanks. She actually had two eggs. The other one has nothing in it that I can see. She had 1 egg last year and it was not fertile either. So I'm hoping one of them is fertile this time.

It may take another week or two for vascularization to occur.

TortoiseRN

5 Year Member
Are you using an incubator? If so what are your temps and humidity? If your temps and humidity 29-30 degrees Celsius and 80% are consistent then you should be seeing veins by now and a darker center ring. If not I wouldn't give up on it just make those adjustments and give it more time.

Carrie

Yes I use an incubator. My temp is at a constant 88 degrees and about 70% humidity. Thanks for your help.

Carrie

Ok the egg is now almost at 4 weeks. This is what is looks like. Still no veins. I'm thinking it's not fertile?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    774.7 KB · Views: 45

HLogic

5 Year Member
Florida, USA
I have no experience but I would keep,waiting!!! Good luck!!'

I agree. There appears to be a reddish cast peripheral to the yolk (and one vein in the lower-right quadrant just outside of the yolk in the last image). Be sure not to rotate the egg while handling it & be certain to replace it in the incubator in the same orientation as it was originally.

Carrie

I agree. There appears to be a reddish cast peripheral to the yolk (and one vein in the lower-right quadrant just outside of the yolk in the last image). Be sure not to rotate the egg while handling it & be certain to replace it in the incubator in the same orientation as it was originally.
Thank you. This is my first time doing this so I guess I'm having a hard time recognizing the vein. I will keep them both in the incubator until something happens. Thanks for everyones help.

Tim/Robin

10 Year Member!
Doesn't look fertile to me. Veins are usually very obvious. Here is a very typical fertile egg. image.jpg