Waikiki Zoo Tortoise Exhibit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arizona Sulcata

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Mesa, AZ
Has anyone visited the Tortoise Exhibit at the Waikiki Zoo in Hawaii? I'll be there in a little over a month and plan on visiting. Just wondering what to expect. From what it sounds like they have quite a collection of species as opposed to the zoos I've seen that only have one or two if I'm lucky.

Erimis

5 Year Member
I was there around 2006, I remember the aldabras and galapagos. I dont recall seeing others, but that doesnt mean they werent there. My hubby likes to zoom by enclosures, whereas I want to stop and gawk.

Vincentdhr

5 Year Member
I don't know about Waikiki, but the San Diego Zoo has Aldabras, Galapagos, Asian Browns and Blacks, Radiateds, Sulcatas, Pancakes, Padlopers, Leopards, California Deserts, Elongateds, Marginateds, Hermann's, Greeks, Red and Yellow Foots, Forsten's, Flat Shelled and Malagasy spiders, Travencores, all three varieties of Stars, and a small group of Russians in the Childrens' Zoo. Pretty good, although the Desert Tortoises had a very small enclosure. The rest were housed in great conditions.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Sorry, we didn't go to the zoo in April when we were there. Besides then, the last time I was there, was about 16 years ago. A lot has changed since then. Take pics and share:). My favorite place on earth. Have fun:)

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
Take pictures when you do, so we all can see how it is!

lovelyrosepetal

5 Year Member
Oklahoma
Hi Austin, I was there back in 2011. We lived in Wahiawa for three years, my husband is in the army and was stationed there. We visited that zoo several times. It is kind of small, if you compare it to the San Diego Zoo, but it was plenty big enough for my husband and six kids. They have a huge monkey exhibit that was a lot of fun. I also liked the water turtle exhibit, at first I thought that they had statues on the logs in the water, They had a few torts. My husband thought that he remembered galapagos but I don't and I remember sulcatas. I did not see any aldabras but some of their torts were in an enclosure that was closed off to the public. My husband took the kids one year and called me to tell me about the torts getting it on and how strange it was. They have quite a few frogs, snakes, and other reptiles. They also had some tigers and I loved their elephants. If you want any more info. you can pm me and I can actually help you out, for once, hahaha :)

You can always pay more, I think it was a lot more, for a private tour. I don't remember the tort exhibit being all that impressive but the conditions were good. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.