Wanted tortoise, any breed

Status
Not open for further replies.

LMarieH

5 Year Member
Hi have been looking for a tortoise for ages. However I live in Australia and they are very hard to come buy. Does any one have any idea where I could get one??

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
welcome
Sadly you will have to find a local breeder, the cost and hassle of red tape, it will be very difficult to ship one into Australia.
We will of course help with any questions you have regarding the care and husbandry of your tortoise, do you have an idea as to what type of tortoise you would like? are there any native tortoise species to Australia?

LMarieH

5 Year Member
dmmj said:
welcome
Sadly you will have to find a local breeder, the cost and hassle of red tape, it will be very difficult to ship one into Australia.
We will of course help with any questions you have regarding the care and husbandry of your tortoise, do you have an idea as to what type of tortoise you would like? are there any native tortoise species to Australia?

There are native tortoises, which are still very hard to come buy. And no I love all the types so I'm not fussy, I have 2 turtles already.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
dmmj said:
welcome
? are there any native tortoise species to Australia?

The Australian coast is visited by six species of sea turtle: the Flatback, Green Sea, Hawksbill, Olive Ridley, Loggerhead and the Leatherback Sea Turtles; all are protected in Australian waters. There are 29 species of Australian freshwater turtles from eight genera of family Chelidae. The Pig-nosed Turtle is the only Australian turtle not of that family. Australia is the only continent without any living species of land tortoise......:(

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi LMarieH:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

May we know your name?

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
N2TORTS said:
dmmj said:
welcome

The Australian coast is visited by six species of sea turtle: the Flatback, Green Sea, Hawksbill, Olive Ridley, Loggerhead and the Leatherback Sea Turtles; all are protected in Australian waters. There are 29 species of Australian freshwater turtles from eight genera of family Chelidae. The Pig-nosed Turtle is the only Australian turtle not of that family. Australia is the only continent without any living species of land tortoise......:(
Don't forget Antarctica

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
N2TORTS said:
dmmj said:
welcome

I just learned something! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.