*Warning"

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
(Once I learn when you're coming down, I'll order a case of black lights for you. I'll write myself a reminder note and put it on my calendar)

Chalkie

Cyprus
I have been keep tortoises for 20 years or so...and I hope that when I post things like this you noobs pay attention and do better than I. Mary Knobbins...
View attachment 342594 lives in a shed that is not attached to my house. So it's insulated, and heated etc. Mary K had a CHE go out so I was replacing the whole fixture as it has to hang down from the ceiling and I needed an extension cord...went in the house...back out hooked it up and put Mary underneath it for measurement ok, but that just wasn't gonna hold, so it's back in the house for a zip tie...neighbor saw me and we talked for a few minutes...back to the shed and I immediately smelled smoke...the CHE was on the floor. I hadn't turned it on...but it was, I caught it so there is just a small charred spot, but it smelled odd...Mary was over eating breakfast, and holy sh*t!!! I didn't smell wood burning...it was Mary...View attachment 342595
I should have tested it before I left to make sure it was off...and Mary is damaged because of it. Minutes is all and look...
View attachment 342596
makes me feel sick to my stomach...CHE's are dangerous and need to be treated that way

mastershake

5 Year Member
Florida
I didn't leave it that way all night. I went into the house to grab a zip tie...wasn't gone but maybe 5 minutes or less...it must have fallen immediately when I left...I thought it would hold a few minutes and I DIDN'T turn it on...but I took the whole unit...already put together...so while I didn't turn it on...I must not have turned it off before I put it away...
def not saying you did at all i was just saying this is why i tell people to be SUPER careful with them. what kind of dome or socket are you using for them? does it have an inline dimmer on it? i have now had more then a handful of those where the dimmer will no longer shut off the bulb and it stays on

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Maggie I just think that no matter how much you try with electronic devices to be safe they can fail. That's a perfect example and it just happened to me even though it was a different way. It couldn't have hurt my Tortoise but it could have hurt me or my brother which would hurt our animals in the long run. Don't beat yourself up too much. Just stick it with the rest of your experience and share like you did with us. It could trigger someone's memory now or even later if they run across this.🤗 and check something. I'm glad Mary is doing ok.😘

Sue Ann

chapin , South Carolina
I have been keep tortoises for 20 years or so...and I hope that when I post things like this you noobs pay attention and do better than I. Mary Knobbins...
View attachment 342594 lives in a shed that is not attached to my house. So it's insulated, and heated etc. Mary K had a CHE go out so I was replacing the whole fixture as it has to hang down from the ceiling and I needed an extension cord...went in the house...back out hooked it up and put Mary underneath it for measurement ok, but that just wasn't gonna hold, so it's back in the house for a zip tie...neighbor saw me and we talked for a few minutes...back to the shed and I immediately smelled smoke...the CHE was on the floor. I hadn't turned it on...but it was, I caught it so there is just a small charred spot, but it smelled odd...Mary was over eating breakfast, and holy sh*t!!! I didn't smell wood burning...it was Mary...View attachment 342595
I should have tested it before I left to make sure it was off...and Mary is damaged because of it. Minutes is all and look...
View attachment 342596
makes me feel sick to my stomach...CHE's are dangerous and need to be treated that way
So sorry 😢 accidents happen in a second. Is it painful?

Sue Ann

chapin , South Carolina
Yeah, this economy has been tough on a lot of us. My electric bills for the past 2 months have averaged around $700 per month! Not to mention te cost of gas, food, etc. This keeps up, I'll be "on the dole" as well! Incandescent lights are still legal here here in Ohio. I'd love to send you some, but I'd probably be brought up on federal contraband charges! lol. Regardless, glad she's ok and I hope the future brightens up for you!
I use an oil radiator. It works great and is cheap to run. I bought the smaller one for under $30

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
I use an oil radiator. It works great and is cheap to run. I bought the smaller one for under $30
I do the same thing. Picked mine up from RuralKing for $30 as well. I actually mounted an inline fan on the ceiling with a duck pointing down towards the floor. Circulates the heat quite nicely!

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
So sorry 😢 accidents happen in a second. Is it painful?
No it doesn't hurt at all. It's keratin, sort of like our fingernails. But it 'looks' seriously burnt and bubbly and I am kinda concerned about infection or something. But I am told no...it just seems like living material would feel a burn...

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
I do the same thing. Picked mine up from RuralKing for $30 as well. I actually mounted an inline fan on the ceiling with a duck pointing down towards the floor. Circulates the heat quite nicely!
Yes to you and Sue Ann...I have 5 tortoises, 4 living in a 20'x12' heated and insulated tort shed that is separated for each tort. Each has a night heat like a che, a basking light, and there's a radiator heater that keeps the ambient heat at 85 degrees. Each has a hide on a rubber stall mat except Mary K who has a large pig blanket in the corner of a large hide. 100_5457.JPG100_6305.JPG100_6293.JPG
What a mess, I will be so glad when those Russians are gone! Also there are 2 doggie doors that I open daily rain or shine. Mary K is sensitive tho and she does not like snow. Bob would go out in the snow everyday, he'd walk the perimeter and make sure nothing was in his space, then he'd go back in...lol

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I love those also. In a small room they can be kept on low or medium through the winter and do the job. They last for years. Especially the older type that don't have digital settings. They don't burn animals or children. Our cat used to camp out practically wrapped around one 😂 the only con is they seem to dry the air out.

Mrs.Jennifer

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Norwich CT
I love those also. In a small room they can be kept on low or medium through the winter and do the job. They last for years. Especially the older type that don't have digital settings. They don't burn animals or children. Our cat used to camp out practically wrapped around one 😂 the only con is they seem to dry the air out.
Actually, any electric heater will dry the air out. I used to use one in conjunction with a humidifier in my studio for my RT’s open top enclosure. Fortunately my situation enabled me to transition to a PVC enclosure constructed by my Daddy and husband, and I no longer need a heater or humidifier. It was a pain trying to keep the humidity up…

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Actually, any electric heater will dry the air out. I used to use one in conjunction with a humidifier in my studio for my RT’s open top enclosure. Fortunately my situation enabled me to transition to a PVC enclosure constructed by my Daddy and husband, and I no longer need a heater or humidifier. It was a pain trying to keep the humidity up…
I bought a used vaporizer at Goodwill about 5 years ago...it still works and I run it off and on for them...

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Yes they do. Also I've noticed that the colder it is outside the drier the air is inside no matter what you do. If it's above freezing it's easier to keep the humidity up.