Waterfall addition

kirby2591

5 Year Member
With a new enclosure comes new toys. I'm currently in the process of making Juno(greek) a waterfall/soaking feature in her enclosure. Plan on this thread being a breakdown of the progress.

Started with a piece of 2" extruded insulation foam.1379514651771.jpg

Cut it in to rectangular pieces so when stacked there will be over hangs for the water falls. I bought a pump that is able to pump vertically 18". Using 2" foam I used 9 layers. I Stacked them in a way that appeased me and numbered the layers
. Then I glued the foam pieces together and stuck wooden skewers thru the foam to keep it from shifting while the glue set. I used a non toxic spray adhesive. Not sure if this matters in the final product but got non toxic to be safe. (didn't start taking pics till after I start shaping)
1379514817662.jpg
After the glue set I used a skill saw blade woth my hand and cut out the back 2 sides to fit flush against my enclosures corner. This was needed cause I have internal framing that shows. Also cut a slot to run my lamp wires down the back hiding them a little better.

This is the water feature in the enclosure
1379515385612.jpg

With the general shape and stucture completed its time to shape and make the pools/spill points. To do this I used the formentioned saw blade, a razor blade and soldering iron.
1379515632442.jpg
1379515658049.jpg
1379515674839.jpg

I got most of the pools and spillways done I just need to roughen up the smooth walls to help later in making it look like rocks. It will be more of the raz
or and soldering iron to achieve this.

Once that is complete the next step is going to be covering all the foam in grout.

Updates to come

Last edited by a moderator:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Looking good. Don't forget a pic of the whole thing running. Oh, also,the smile in the torts face of their very own water fall:D

TommyZ

5 Year Member
Very Macgyverish of ya! Really cool.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using TortForum mobile app

mikeh

5 Year Member
Very curious to see how it turns out.

sent from mobile device using TFO app

kirby2591

5 Year Member
I'm basing my plans off of how they make large faux rocks. They shape chicken wire or hardware cloth and spray it with exspanding foam. And then covering that in concrete. Real rock look with a fraction of the weight

kirby2591

5 Year Member
Been a while since the last post.... burnt out my soldering iron. Bought a small butane torch and finished up the shaping. View attachment 63842
1386531703031.jpg
1386531717063.jpg
Covering in grout is soon to come!

Last edited by a moderator:

onelove

This looks awesome. I'm going to give this a try. I have a I40 fluval(?) Filter I have laying around from my turtle tanks I think I may use. Only bad part is I won't be able to make it as high because the filter has to stand in the bottom water. It's pretty much a waterfall already without the cool shelves overhangs. Where did you get the pump Kirby?

kirby2591

5 Year Member
Bought it at Home depot by the pond pumps.... I got the smallest one. It is for a table top fountain.