wats the best incubator?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tropical Torts

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Northwest FL
Hey guys, its getting to the rainy season for the redfoots here in Florida and i want to be ready ahead of time with an incubator. Wats the best one? I have been looking around and i have seen the thermal air flow hovabator for $51.00 and the reptibator for $109.00. Which one do you guys prefer? Is there a better one that i havent found? wat has worked the best for you in the past?

Thanks

jackrat

5 Year Member
Hamburg,AR
I have both and prefer the Reptibator.Room temprature doesn't have as much effect on it.It also holds temprature flawlessly.The clear top is also nice,allowing you to see everything inside anytime you walk by.As with any incubator,the temprature at egg level must be adjusted.The displays on my reptibators stay set on 89 degrees,which translates to 84 degrees at the eggs.

jackrat

5 Year Member
Hamburg,AR
jrcrist4 said:
So the temperature you set it to is always going to be 5 degrees less at the egg level?
I won't say that is what it will always be.That's what mine are.The reptibator takes the temperature readings in the top of the unit,where it is naturally warmer.What I am saying,regardless of what incubator you use,be sure you know what the temperature and humidity are at the eggs.That is the main thing to remember.

AdamR

5 Year Member
Make one! Heat tape/cable + thermostat + any size cooler/minifridge/freezer = A large incubator perfect for your needs! Check out this site for instructions: http://www.arbreptiles.com/cages/incubator.shtml

I always heard that the hovabators fluctuate a lot depending on room temp, but I've never used it.

Tropical Torts

10 Year Member!
Northwest FL
I will probably go with either the hovabator or the little giant, havent decided yet. I dont get enough eggs to need the space provided by the homemade one. But wat i want is the still air, correct? because i have seen the thermal free flow air models.

Geochelone_Carbonaria

10 Year Member!
Southern part of Sweden
Build your own !

I used glass and glued it together with silicone. It's built like an aquarium tank but with a leaning top so that the mist don't drip on the eggs. 3-4 inch of water below the shelf with an immersion heater and an air pump that makes the circulation of the air flow and the humidity stays between 97-98 %. For insulation around it I use styrofoam, so the temp keep very steady and this makes the temp to stay exactly where you want it when setting the heater. As a shelf, I used two "standing" pieces of glass and a brass grid on top where you put the container with the eggs.

Incubator_1.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

albert

5 Year Member
I am using the new ExoTerra one to try hatching my first Bearded Dragon eggs. Seems to be a nice unit with a clear front window to see what's happening. Not much happening so far ...

Tropical Torts

10 Year Member!
Northwest FL
I have been thinking about building an incubator like many of you have mentioned and while researching i came across this site:

http://www.thetortoisehouse.com/Incubators04.htm

It sounds really simple so I am wondering if anyone has used it and whether or not it works.

If it does work I have one of the boxes it mentions.
IMG_1700.jpg

IMG_1699.jpg

IMG_1698.jpg

Could this work?

Thanks

onarock

5 Year Member
Hawaii
Ive seen people build incubators out of those boxes. They work great. The ones that I have seen were heated with red lamps on a thermostat. One person filled the incubator half full with vermiculite and placed a LARGE water dish in there with the eggs. The other ones I have seen people used plastic shoe boxes half filled with vermiculite on top of a tray filled with water.

Tropical Torts

10 Year Member!
Northwest FL
Yeah it is a very simple way to make an incubator. it almost seems to simple. The only problem i can see with it is reaching right temps with just a heat pad.

Status
Not open for further replies.