Weed ID help

Megatron's Mom

Location (City and/or State)
North Little Rock, Arkansas
I used Google lense to ID these two weeds. I'm pretty certain the first two pictures is purple dead nettle. The other two pictures Google says it's dead nettle but it grows and looks nothing like the other.

It's weed season here and I have a ton of these growing now that the grass is dormant. I want to be 100% on them. I can get more pictures tomorrow when the sun comes out if needed.

Oh and the leaves also feel different then each other.

Attachments

• IMG_20240103_171006844.jpg
    IMG_20240103_171006844.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_20240103_173216739.jpg
    IMG_20240103_173216739.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_20240103_172624456.jpg
    IMG_20240103_172624456.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_20240103_173243942.jpg
    IMG_20240103_173243942.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 3

dd33

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Florida
Try using a phone app called PictureThis. I used to scan the pictures you took and one came up as "Ground Ivy" and the other as Purple Dead Nettle.

AjDaVinci

Ireland, Meath
I used Google lense to ID these two weeds. I'm pretty certain the first two pictures is purple dead nettle. The other two pictures Google says it's dead nettle but it grows and looks nothing like the other.

It's weed season here and I have a ton of these growing now that the grass is dormant. I want to be 100% on them. I can get more pictures tomorrow when the sun comes out if needed.

Oh and the leaves also feel different then each other.
Hi, forager here. Looks to be a species of dead nettle/ false nettle.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Try using a phone app called PictureThis. I used to scan the pictures you took and one came up as "Ground Ivy" and the other as Purple Dead Nettle.

Agreed with dead nettle and on the ground ivy, the second of which is usually suggested as one to avoid.

Also agree with using your phone for identification. The newer iPhones have a an "I" info icon at the top of every photo taken. If you're lucky a bit of flair will be next to it. Click it and if the picture is good enough it will usually spit out the accurate name of the plant. It's really quite good.

Megatron's Mom

Agreed with dead nettle and on the ground ivy, the second of which is usually suggested as one to avoid.

Also agree with using your phone for identification. The newer iPhones have a an "I" info icon at the top of every photo taken. If you're lucky a bit of flair will be next to it. Click it and if the picture is good enough it will usually spit out the accurate name of the plant. It's really quite good.
I used the phone ID the problem was that the dead nettle was also referred as ground ivy. So I then went down the google path of typing both names in and it show dead nettle for both names.

Megatron's Mom

Well darn false nettle looks like the first one but just taller and I have that in the yard too. Is that one safe to feed?

So far when I go around I only collect the weeds that I 100% know but I have so many weeds in my badly neglected yard.

AjDaVinci

Ireland, Meath
Well darn false nettle looks like the first one but just taller and I have that in the yard too. Is that one safe to feed?

So far when I go around I only collect the weeds that I 100% know but I have so many weeds in my badly neglected yard.
False nettle is safe :) ground ivy however is not, as far as I know. So I wouldn't until they flower so you can know for sure. Falsd/dead nettle have purple or white flowers depending on the species. Should be in season for a good couple months.
Stinging nettle IS in season though, so some tough gloves could come in handy. Blanch the nettles in boiling water for about 20 seconds to take the sting out of it.

Megatron's Mom

False nettle is safe :) ground ivy however is not, as far as I know. So I wouldn't until they flower so you can know for sure. Falsd/dead nettle have purple or white flowers depending on the species. Should be in season for a good couple months.
Stinging nettle IS in season though, so some tough gloves could come in handy. Blanch the nettles in boiling water for about 20 seconds to take the sting out of it.
Thank you, they have purple flowers. The ground ivy will need to be plucked I guess. That darn stuff is everywhere.