weight gain

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tracy Gould

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Pontefract West Yorkshire U,K
Hi could anyone help me by telling me how much a 1 yr old Testudo Hermanni Boettaeri should be gaining weekly. Shelby was 40g when i got him/her but depending on time of day as gone up to 41g then back down to 40g in the week i have had Him/her. I know they need to gain slowly but I can not find a guide to what is a healthy weight gain rate. I am a bit worried because of the weight as been yoyoing abit, i know its problerly sometime to do with how much food as been eaten and is in the system and i know i have only had Shelby 10 days but should'nt there have been some gain? :(

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Weight gain can vary based on diet, activity level, season, hydration, acclimation and more. I mention acclimation because you state that you've only had your tortoise 10 days. I doubt it has even established a daily routine yet. Tortoises brought into completely new surroundings take time to acclimate themselves to the new sites, smells and activity around them. This can also be a time of stress for them. Often during stressful periods their appetite decreases and they can also become dehydrated. I personally would be less concerned about a gram or two of weight and more concerned about ensuring that the tortoise remains well hydrated during this time of transition. If kept hydrated, given the right temperatures and light duration, offered a good quality diet and left alone to settle in, the tortoise will be fine.

Tracy Gould

5 Year Member
GBtortoises said:
Weight gain can vary based on diet, activity level, season, hydration, acclimation and more. I mention acclimation because you state that you've only had your tortoise 10 days. I doubt it has even established a daily routine yet. Tortoises brought into completely new surroundings take time to acclimate themselves to the new sites, smells and activity around them. This can also be a time of stress for them. Often during stressful periods their appetite decreases and they can also become dehydrated. I personally would be less concerned about a gram or two of weight and more concerned about ensuring that the tortoise remains well hydrated during this time of transition. If kept hydrated, given the right temperatures and light duration, offered a good quality diet and left alone to settle in, the tortoise will be fine.
Ok thanks. I soak him every other day and he as water so he should be fine. He is quite act and spends alot of time trying to climb out of his home. His appetite started off good but as slowed down abit the last 2 days, thats proberly my fault because i keep messing about with the layout of his area i am trying to make it intresting and i am proberly stressing him out alittle so i will leave it be and let him settle abit.

TortieLuver

5 Year Member
Arizona
I wouldn't worry this early. It sounds like he is very active and eating. We too fluctuate a little in weight from time to time and with our appetites. If he was not eating at all, that could be another story.

Tracy Gould

5 Year Member
TortieLuver said:
I wouldn't worry this early. It sounds like he is very active and eating. We too fluctuate a little in weight from time to time and with our appetites. If he was not eating at all, that could be another story.

Well i think his body clock as gone daft he is pigging out now! I was just going to turn his lights off now he is going to sleep with a full tum:rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.