what is a healthy weight increase

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tracy Gould

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Pontefract West Yorkshire U,K
Hi i have a 1 year old Testudo Hermanni Boettaeri It measures 50mm and weight started at 40g when i got it it as now been with me 14 days and weight is 44g the 4g have been put on in the last 4 days.i have read tortoise need to gain slowly and have checked the Jackson Ratio but this does not cover tortoise this small. I am trying to find a guide for weight gain as i know that if is done wrong it can cause lots of problems. I fed Shelby weeds and only give fruit or veg as a treat as i know high protein is bad.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
It's pretty difficult for a Hermann's tortoise to become overweight as long as it is being fed a correct good quality, varied diet, exhibits a normal activity level and has enough space for that activity. In other words, they are very good at burning off the calories if given the opportunity to do so!

I would not feed a young, developing Hermann's tortoise any fruit at all. There is no need for it in their diet.

How much the tortoise eats and the weight it retains is determined by several factors including the diet content, the amount of food fed and how often, temperature, hydration activity level and more. Everyone keeps their tortoise slightly different based on their local situation. That makes it hard to pinpoint a specific method. But if you can supply us with more information like the amount of food at each feeding, how often the tortoise is fed, temperatures and more it makes it much easier to make suggestions.

Tracy Gould

5 Year Member
GBtortoises said:
It's pretty difficult for a Hermann's tortoise to become overweight as long as it is being fed a correct good quality, varied diet, exhibits a normal activity level and has enough space for that activity. In other words, they are very good at burning off the calories if given the opportunity to do so!

I would not feed a young, developing Hermann's tortoise any fruit at all. There is no need for it in their diet.

How much the tortoise eats and the weight it retains is determined by several factors including the diet content, the amount of food fed and how often, temperature, hydration activity level and more. Everyone keeps their tortoise slightly different based on their local situation. That makes it hard to pinpoint a specific method. But if you can supply us with more information like the amount of food at each feeding, how often the tortoise is fed, temperatures and more it makes it much easier to make suggestions.

I give the food on a morning and Shelby eats off and on all day i tend to pick a few dandilion leaves as they seem to be the favourite, sometimes i give a dandlion flower as well i give a varied diet sometimes i fed clover or crest parsley, coriander Thyme or mint, Plaitains sainfoin Bedstraw grated Carrot once a week mixed Lettuce apple as only been given twice since i got Him/her. I tend to mix the these up and offer different comdos once each day but i always include the dandilion leave as Shelby seem to love them. I tend to give ruffly a hand full but Shelby never eats it all i then take left over food away after Shelby as gone to sleep. The temps are between 32C and 34 c in hot spot and 20c to 25c in cooler end. I also put Vits and calium on the food. I bath every other day too but Shelby as water in the home all the time.

Tracy Gould

5 Year Member
By the way i leave the light and heat lamp on 12 hours then turn them off and put on the heat mat but Shelby is going to Bed after 8 hrs she digs her self down in her humidity hide and stays there till morning is this normal for a young Tortoise i figured its because she is 1 year old after all babys need more sleep she is active all day so i have not been worried but thought i would double check this is ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.