Western Pond Turtle

M

Maggie Cummings

They are of my favorite turtles and today I just read in the paper that because they are native to Oregon they are going to get a one year federal review for possible protection under the Endangered Species Act. That makes me happy
A recent survey of 15 sites in Clackamas County found no sign of the turtle at all. Damn

Because the RED EARRED SLIDER HAS TAKEN OVER THE HABITAT OF THE PACIFIC POND TURTLE....grrr

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Fes, Morocco
How horrible!
If it takes a year to get protection and they already can't find any, looks like a bit of a problem.

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
Swamps, bogs, and vernal pools
They shouldn't be listed on the ESA. It will kill captive breeding and won't change a thing about RES, pollution, habitat degradation, etc.

I have a CBW, and I can tell you, they are next to impossible to get for native species that become listed. Has the ESA helped Graptemys flavimaculata or oculifera?

Sucks :-(

M

Maggie Cummings

Wow, I was dumb enough to think it was a good thing...

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
Swamps, bogs, and vernal pools
Lots of listing is good, but some laws just make the animals worth more on the black market, and a lot of the laws are hard to enforce. Like gun laws, they protect us from good guys with permits more than they protect us from bad guys who don't care.