What are these??

andyhubbert

Location (City and/or State)
Liverpool, UK
Hi

So I have a lot of tort friendly plants in my garden but I have these which I just can’t identify can anyone help and let me know if they are safe!

IMG_0524.jpg

IMG_0525.jpg

IMG_0526.jpg

IMG_0527.jpg

IMG_0529.jpg

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
The first is groundsel. Not something to intentionally feed but if your tortoise takes the occasional bite he will be okay.

The second plant is familiar to me but I can’t place it. A UK member surely can.

The third is some type of brassica, a mustard perhaps. All the brassicas are safe in moderation.

The fourth is some kind of thistle. Safe and unless your tortoise is tiny, the spines won’t hurt him (promise!).

The fifth is unknown to me.

andyhubbert

Liverpool, UK
The first is groundsel. Not something to intentionally feed but if your tortoise takes the occasional bite he will be okay.

The second plant is familiar to me but I can’t place it. A UK member surely can.

The third is some type of brassica, a mustard perhaps. All the brassicas are safe in moderation.

The fourth is some kind of thistle. Safe and unless your tortoise is tiny, the spines won’t hurt him (promise!).

The fifth is unknown to me.

Thank you!!

How small? He’s currently 2 years old and 7cm (SCL) is that too small to feed him the spiny one?

Thanks

katieandiggy

5 Year Member
Suffolk, United Kingdom
1 is definitely groundsel- don’t feed
2 looks like wild geranium but wait for a second on that
3 I really don’t know but I’ve seen it a lot. I’d be interested to know
4&5 both types of thistle- most thistle is generally safe but not always liked by the tort.

Bambam1989

East Texas
1 groundsel. No feed
2. Bet that's buttercup. No feed
3. Looks like a type of tansy to me. No feed
4. A type of thistle
5. A different type of thistle

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
2. Bet that's buttercup. No feed

Agreed it’s a buttercup. @andyhubbert, no need to feed it but many UK members allow their tortoises to graze on this without ill effects. If he gets a few bites of it don’t worry.

3. Looks like a type of tansy to me. No feed

I can’t see that as a tansy? But I’ll hold off until I see a flower. As always, better safe than sorry.

andyhubbert

Liverpool, UK
Agreed it’s a buttercup. @andyhubbert, no need to feed it but many UK members allow their tortoises to graze on this without ill effects. If he gets a few bites of it don’t worry.

I can’t see that as a tansy? But I’ll hold off until I see a flower. As always, better safe than sorry.

Thanks for all your help! Struggling with introducing any variety though as he only really chomps on clover and kale. I put anything else in and it generally comes out uneaten :/

Worried I’m putting too much food in? He has had steady weight gain and no problems so far

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
If there is some left over, you did not put too much in! If so, put in a little less next time.

For a tortoise in the right size enclosure, with the right temps, it’s unlikely they will “overeat” or get fat. The more they walk, the more they will eat.

No need to rush things at this time, as you’ve not had him long. If he doesn’t take to other foods in a couple of weeks, you can cut up small amounts of them very fine and mix them in with his favorite foods while they are a bit damp. Eventually he’ll get used to their taste and start eating them with more gusto. Then you can decrease the others and/or mix in new things.

If he’s been at the pet shop for any length of time, it’s quite likely he’s fixated on what he ate there. Just keep at it.