What do they say to each other ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edna

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Rawlins, Wyoming
jackrat said:
I have the answer you seek.I have spent much time deciphering what they are saying.It's mostly along the lines of,"how was that poop you ate earlier?". "Oh, it was delightful,think it will rain today" "I don't know,it is a little cloudy" Just mundane talk,for the most part.Hope I answered your question,Dude.

Thank you, jackrat!! This is the sort of thing I was looking for when I saw the title of this thread. Edna (not a Dame, and not 77)

RV's mom

10 Year Member!
Phoenix, arizona
no pics. no proof. we all love pics, love to say oooh! and aahhhh!! nothing more.

sorry to have taken up his time. very good Jackrat! you made an otherwise somber night at work a little bit better.

teri

Mandolynn

5 Year Member
I've noticed my RFs don't just bob their heads to each other, but to me too. I realize what normal head movement is, I've cared for other species of torts and they never did this. I have two girls and I am so lame that I bob my head to them and they respond. I'm sure you are all going to call me an idiot, but I pay close attention to my pets. These guys are intelligent. When they are startled by something, I slowly nod my head, or shake it side to side, and they come out doing the same thing.

jasunni

5 Year Member
:D

I've been studying the head movements and have determined that they do exchange some form of information. I have deciphered a handful of movements and their "meaning". I'm not joking (like previous posters ;-)).

The most readily understandable movement is a quick bob (sort of the tortoise head equivalent of a mouse click) to acknowledge that they are about to bite at something (usually food). I was able to use this to teach a new member to the colony not to bite my toes. When he made the "food" gesture, I would gently tap his nose before he bit.

There is a very similar gesture, but with a short diagonal dip which they use when acknowledging liquid/water.

A quick jerk to the side while pulling the head in (like when they rub an eye but without eye or nose rubbing intentionally on the forearm) can indicate a "no" or "leave me alone".

A long swooping neck to the side (not a series of three or four, but one motion) means "I'm not moving, go around" or "there is something interesting here". I use this with my arm to get my oldest guy (about 80) to come out of his heated house to eat. He will talk back with a short side swoop, which I think just means "what, are you sure?" Then after I answer a couple of times, he will come out to see.

I think the long series of 3-4 side to side motions are the "Hey, I'm a guy, what are you?" mating ritual and identity.

I believe that they may have more sophisticated ability to indicate locations and travel patterns (like honeybees) but have not been able to further crack that. They will "talk" to each other for long periods of time, especially after adventuring and meeting one another (we keep ours mostly indoors with free run of the house and several areas of heating/humidity.) It does not seem to be the same pattern over and over.

Anyone willing to share info on observations?

We have four RFs - 2 male, 2 female, ranging in age from 10-80.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Madkins007 said:
Personally, I am fascinated by how Europeans approach reptile husbandry.

Hopefully its not like thier personal hygene!.......:p

77 year old RF .....IN Captivity in Sweden no doubt? .....B*#*%#!

DEAR SANTA: ;)

JD~:)

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Sad to say...but...I think he has left the building. I would have loved to see that tort....if there was one.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
terryo said:
Sad to say...but...I think he has left the building. I would have loved to see that tort....if there was one.

ME TOO! ..... and Teach my Tort to Rap.... DUDE! :p

JD~ AKA other DUDE" IN SO CA! ha ha ha .....:D

" I say it all the time " .....

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
jasunni said:

Hi Jasunni:

Please take a moment to start a new introduction thread and tell us a bit about yourself...where are you and what may we call you?

Welcome to the forum!!

zzzdanz

5 Year Member
Boston
I'm at a loss for words after reading that...Looks like we will no longer be blessed by the Swedish savior of all things shelled.I was feeling humbled being in the presence of such a higher knowledge.

I,being a mere mortal in the world of RF linguists,like knowing the gender of the animals I keep.I'm glad I don't have a 77yr. old tortoise that needs a therapist to discuss their gender.."well Dr...1 day it's dude, the next it's dudette,I'm so confused, and is cypress mulch ok?..and all this UVB,temp,humidity...I can't take it"

Obviously I'm just guessing that's what your tortoise is saying,but with Dr./ patient confidentiality,we'll never know for sure.

A 77yr old RF in Sweden..I have doubts..Be careful with that old Dude/Dudette in the winter.I'ld hate to her of it slipping and breaking a hip..(In my best redfoot voice)...I've fallen and I can't get up!!

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
jasunni said:

I've been studying the head movements and have determined that they do exchange some form of information. I have deciphered a handful of movements and their "meaning". I'm not joking (like previous posters ;-)).

The most readily understandable movement is a quick bob (sort of the tortoise head equivalent of a mouse click) to acknowledge that they are about to bite at something (usually food). I was able to use this to teach a new member to the colony not to bite my toes. When he made the "food" gesture, I would gently tap his nose before he bit.

There is a very similar gesture, but with a short diagonal dip which they use when acknowledging liquid/water.

A quick jerk to the side while pulling the head in (like when they rub an eye but without eye or nose rubbing intentionally on the forearm) can indicate a "no" or "leave me alone".

A long swooping neck to the side (not a series of three or four, but one motion) means "I'm not moving, go around" or "there is something interesting here". I use this with my arm to get my oldest guy (about 80) to come out of his heated house to eat. He will talk back with a short side swoop, which I think just means "what, are you sure?" Then after I answer a couple of times, he will come out to see.

I think the long series of 3-4 side to side motions are the "Hey, I'm a guy, what are you?" mating ritual and identity.

I believe that they may have more sophisticated ability to indicate locations and travel patterns (like honeybees) but have not been able to further crack that. They will "talk" to each other for long periods of time, especially after adventuring and meeting one another (we keep ours mostly indoors with free run of the house and several areas of heating/humidity.) It does not seem to be the same pattern over and over.

Welcome...how about showing us some of your torts? Pictures?

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
jasunni said:

Good observations! You may want to look into behavioral studies and see how what you are seeing correlates to other reports.

For example...

Communicating location, etc.? Yes, we know they do it with scent signals, and possibly sub-sonic vibrations. They may use other methods, but there really is not a lot of evidence they are social enough to bother.

Head bobbing is more commonly believed to be associated with smelling and breathing then with communication, and I suspect the 'toe training' was due more to connecting your foot scent with the fact that it was NOT the juicy mushroom the tort thought it was since mushrooms rarely attack. (It is pretty commonly assumed that Red-foots nip toes because the white round shape and slight scent of fungus on most of our feet makes them think they are mushrooms.)

Quick head retractions are a sign of fear, confusion, submission, etc. Pulling it to the side instead of straight back is thought to maintain a better supply of air in the lungs. (The hiss they make pulling in is the air being forced out.)

I would bet your big guys reaction to your arm swoop is more to see if you are going to feed him than him thinking you are somehow a turtle. They are about as intelligent as a white rat, and you could never convince a white rat you are communicating with it.

You say you have an 80 year-old Red-foot? Do you have decent proof of that? There are not many I can find that can be proven to be much over 40. It would be great to see a really old, properly documented Red-foot!

kbaker

5 Year Member
Michigan
I am a little PO'd how this thread went. Too many jokes. I am glad there were a few posts that stayed on topic. I am also glad most of my posts are not replied to instead of leaving a trail of jokes.
:(

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
N2TORTS said:
Madkins007 said:
Personally, I am fascinated by how Europeans approach reptile husbandry.

Hopefully its not like thier personal hygene!.......:p

77 year old RF .....IN Captivity in Sweden no doubt? .....B*#*%#!

DEAR SANTA: ;)

JD~:)

LOL JD that is hilarious! :D :p

Status
Not open for further replies.