What is it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

laney

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Aberdeen, Scotland
Harley my Russian has markings on her that I thought was marbling which I have not seen before but heard people mention on tfo before but I just searched and the images I found didn't look the same, so is it marbling? If so what causes it and is it just an appearance thing?
It is thin white squiggles around her shell in waves and loops as if someone has used a white pen to draw on her but slightly under the surface of her shell. The pics I seen on here seem to be more chunky patches so I don't know if it is marbling or not?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
This comes up frequently and we've had several threads about it. The consensus of opinion is that none of us really know why the little squiggles occur, however they are perfectly normal.

laney

5 Year Member
Aberdeen, Scotland
emysemys said:
This come up frequently and we've had several threads about it. The consensus of opinion is that none of us really know why the little squiggles occur, however they are perfectly normal.

Thanks emysemys, I'm glad it's normal, I just wasn't sure if it was because something was needed (more calcium etc) it's very strange though, is it classed as marbling then? Or is there a different name for it?

Sorry I don't have any clear pics of it, it's very hard to pick up in the photos :(

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
No, far as I'm aware, its just "little white squiggly curley-q's" They outgrow it as they get older. One answer that I heard about it was that it is the calcium working its way through the shell. ??? I guess that's as good as any.

LuckysGirl007

5 Year Member
Surprise, AZ
I know EXACTLY what you are talking about...I hope. I noticed it on mine as well. I think they are so small and blended in it would be hard to get a photo of. Today's my weigh and measure day so I will be taking some photos..if I can get a clear one I will try to post it on here.

laney

5 Year Member
Aberdeen, Scotland
LuckysGirl007 said:
I know EXACTLY what you are talking about...I hope. I noticed it on mine as well. I think they are so small and blended in it would be hard to get a photo of. Today's my weigh and measure day so I will be taking some photos..if I can get a clear one I will try to post it on here.

It's intriguing. Hopefully it is calcium working its way through the shell (I assume that's not a bad thing?!) I'm gona try and find out more about it. My little one Yoshi does not have it yet but I'm noticing more and more appearing on Harley. I don't mind it, it makes them individual :) as long as its not an early sign of something bad. I guess I'm just nosy, I want to learn and research about torts :)

Status
Not open for further replies.