What kind of plants in Indian stars terrarium?

cyclopunx

Hi. I prepare to new home for little indians. I prefere green enclosures. What kind of plants in terra you recomend. Thanx

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
Look up plants on The Tortoise Table Plant Database If they are suitable to feed then they are suitable for an enclosure.
http://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk

Plants grow best in pots sunk into the substrate rather than planted directly in the substrate. Leave the rim poking above the surface and it will help protect the plant from trampling.

Spider plants are good because you can grow one on a windowsill and have an endless supply of replacement plants for the enclosure.

They must be grown in additive free compost and be free from pesticides.

If you buy plants from a shop that aren't intended for human consumption, remove it from its pots and remove all the compost from the roots. Rinse the plant thoroughly under the tap to remove all sprays. Then replant in additive free soil or compost and grow on for at least 6 months to remove all traces of systemic pesticides from the plant. Then you can finally use it with your tortoise.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Pothos ivy are good for them?
Pothos is probably the easiest plant to grow indoors and in lower light. It will thrive in an enclosure and grows quickly. A simple cutting stuck in the soild will grow a new plant! Many sources list it as a mildly "toxic" plants as it is high in oxalate crystals (raphides) that act like tiny needles and irritate the mouth of mammals. Since most sources simply stay away from recommending anything that has ever proven a problem for ANY animal, the then list pothos as a potential problem.

However, I have used pothos is my tortoise and aquatic turtle habitats for years. Some of the tortoises and turtles will eat it as well. Never a problem. Chelonians have the ability to eat cactus with the spines and glocoids without any effect as well. A few years ago, I spoke with the director of the Behler Center about pothos as they use it in almost every enclosure I saw there. He is one of the most respected tortoise vets in the world. He confirmed that chelonians seem totally immune to any ill effects of raphides. Pothos are a great choice for a tortoise enclosure. I certainly wouldn't make it a staple of a diet, but for a plant they can safely nibble on, it is a good choice.

Dipa

Mahesana,Gujarat,India
Pothos is probably the easiest plant to grow indoors and in lower light. It will thrive in an enclosure and grows quickly. A simple cutting stuck in the soild will grow a new plant! Many sources list it as a mildly "toxic" plants as it is high in oxalate crystals (raphides) that act like tiny needles and irritate the mouth of mammals. Since most sources simply stay away from recommending anything that has ever proven a problem for ANY animal, the then list pothos as a potential problem.

However, I have used pothos is my tortoise and aquatic turtle habitats for years. Some of the tortoises and turtles will eat it as well. Never a problem. Chelonians have the ability to eat cactus with the spines and glocoids without any effect as well. A few years ago, I spoke with the director of the Behler Center about pothos as they use it in almost every enclosure I saw there. He is one of the most respected tortoise vets in the world. He confirmed that chelonians seem totally immune to any ill effects of raphides. Pothos are a great choice for a tortoise enclosure. I certainly wouldn't make it a staple of a diet, but for a plant they can safely nibble on, it is a good choice.
Ohh
Thnx a lot