what kind of substrate helps keep the humidity up?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angrycowgoesmoo

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Alexandria, VA
I keep having this trouble with humidity. I always mist it about 4 times a day but the humidity won't go up! Is it the substrate? I have cypress as my substrate. I also have one plant inside and I am going to buy more soon. So what kind of substrate helps with the humidity? Also how would you keep it up? I heard some people put like shower curtains over them but I don't know if that would help.

jackrat

5 Year Member
Hamburg,AR
It does help to have a top over the enclosure. How deep is the substrate?

AnthonyC

5 Year Member
New York
I use a 50/50 mix of cypress mulch and coco coir. I really don't mist the enclosure much. What I usually do is pour about 2 cups of warm water directly into it and knead it in like you would with bread dough. I also have 2 under tank heaters. 1 is under the humid hide and the other one (it's a big one) is under the hot section. I really think that the under tank heaters help to keep my humidity levels up. With them the humidity levels are between 75-82% and without them it was only about 50%. Hope that helps you out a little bit! :)

Angrycowgoesmoo

5 Year Member
Alexandria, VA
hmm I'm going to try what you did with the substrate anthony :p I wanted to try the heat pad thingy but my tort house is made of wood and I don't know if it would catch on fire or anything but do you use a tank? Does a tank or tub make the humidity better?

ewam

5 Year Member
Southern Ca.
How far way is the gauge from the ground because when I put mine about 6 inches from the substrate the the humidity was at 35 and when I put it so when it was touching the ground it went up to 80.

A tank is easier to keep up humidity.

Angrycowgoesmoo

5 Year Member
Alexandria, VA
But I heard sometimes tanks would rot shell or there won't be enough air circulation or the tort will get confused and try to walk through the glass

AnthonyC

5 Year Member
New York
Right now mine are in a sweater box. I've also heard that it's easier to keep humidity levels higher in a glass tank but I can't confirm that. A lot of people frown at the idea of using heating pads but it has really worked out well for me. I doubt if your hide would catch on fire. I believe if that were the case than my substrate would be burned up by now. I keep a thermometer (1 of many) just above the spot were the big heating pad is, and the temp reads 92 during the day and 85 at night. Don't forget that the heating pad is supposed to be under your enclosure so it shouldn't have direct contact w/your tortoise house. :)

quote='Angrycowgoesmoo' pid='321381' dateline='1317685448']
hmm I'm going to try what you did with the substrate anthony :p I wanted to try the heat pad thingy but my tort house is made of wood and I don't know if it would catch on fire or anything but do you use a tank? Does a tank or tub make the humidity better?
[/quote]

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Green Moss ~ works well plus they love to bury in it ... and if ya want to get really serious, Try using rockwool in a tupperware container *OUT OF REACH of the TORTS* ..this material will hold 90%water weight with slow and even evaporation lasp.

JD~:)

ewam

5 Year Member
Southern Ca.
Sphagnum moss stays damp for hours and hours too. I think that it keeps up humidity best. But you don't put it all over just a little section and in their hide.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
I've been using the heat rope mentioned earlier for a couple years now and love it. It is at the bottom of my tank under about 2" of cypress, gets to about 90-95F, and is waterproof. Pour water in, loosely cover the top (mine is about 75% covered), and wait for the warm vapor to rise up!

Status
Not open for further replies.