Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Poor little ornate box turtle!

Yvonne

jorrow

5 Year Member
Alabama
Thats horrible.... I saw one on another site that had been rescued his name was scooter it was hard to even tell he was a box turtle he was so deformed

M

Maggie Cummings

jorrow said:
Thats horrible.... I saw one on another site that had been rescued his name was scooter it was hard to even tell he was a box turtle he was so deformed

I know the Scooter you are talking about, and I have seen him grow and not look so terribly deformed. He has a great place to live now.
I have an ornate who is deformed also. He won't eat anything that's good for him so I force feed him baby food. He used to eat meal worms but he won't eat anything now. He's terribly deformed and no matter what I do he grows and gets bigger but stays as deformed. I thought that with good care he might get better but that ain't happening...I know it wouldn't go away, but I did think that his new growth should look better but it doesn't.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
maggie3fan said:
I know the Scooter you are talking about, and I have seen him grow and not look so terribly deformed. He has a great place to live now.
I have an ornate who is deformed also. He won't eat anything that's good for him so I force feed him baby food. He used to eat meal worms but he won't eat anything now. He's terribly deformed and no matter what I do he grows and gets bigger but stays as deformed. I thought that with good care he might get better but that ain't happening...I know it wouldn't go away, but I did think that his new growth should look better but it doesn't.

Because I KNOW Tweezer's story, I'm amazed that he's still alive after all this time. Can we see a picture of Little Tweezer? (so-called because she has to hand-feed him with tweezers)

Yvonne

jorrow

5 Year Member
Alabama
Does scooter stay at that Rescue as a resident or was he adopted out to a good home Maggie?

DAC8671

10 Year Member!
San Diego CA
How big to they get? I'm considered taking this one in, but I don't know anything about them. I've been doing some reading this morning, but I've got a lot to learn. One thing I read was ABSOLUTELY not for children. Why? I have small kids (3 & 7). They are great with Ralph, my sully, but they don't pick him up anymore (too heavy for them). They are still fascinated with him though. So why not a box turtle for kids?

I would have to build a new enclosure for him so he can stay outside. Still undecided.

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
Tortoise and turtles arnt good for kids because kids tend to stress reptiles in general out. But, i have had lots of box turtles in my life and have to say if you have kids and let them handle them just make sure they wash there hands after.

As for the turtle, Ornate box turtles stay fairly small, they are the smallest of the American box turtles only getting 4-6 inches ( a 6 inch one is pretty big) and they are turtles, meaning their diet will be more bugs and protein the veggies ( opposite of a tortoises). Also box turtles need higher humidity then sulcatas, they need 70percent or higher humidity if they get to dry they get swollen eyes and RI, not good. As far as housing these guys do best outdoors, They tend to be shy indoors, but they can adapt, but box turtles need a lot of space for how big they are, they love to roam, ornates really love to roam. I wrote a basic box turtle care sheet from what i used to house them in and stuff, you can read it, and if you have any other questions feel free to ask, box turtles are fun
heres my caresheet on the:
http://tortoise-spot.webs.com/boxturtlecare.htm

M

Maggie Cummings

jorrow said:
Does scooter stay at that Rescue as a resident or was he adopted out to a good home Maggie?

Yes, he lives there with Julie and really has made a nice recovery, Tweezer on the other hand...not so much...
so here is Tweezer in all his glory. I tried to get a shot of his gigantic buggy eyes but he wouldn't cooperate. He's got huge eyes.He is 6 years old and that makes him 3 years older than the other ornate I placed him by for size demonstration...

2jcajdl.jpg

rjfhjd.jpg

2i0zrx3.jpg

However one shouldn't lump all box turtles in the same bunch. I have 3-toed and Ornata and while the Ornata have better, more out going personalities they do bite and a 3-toed will never attempt to bite. 3-toed care more for veggies and fruit and Ornata want that live food, that protein. None of my box turtles will eat the beetles that were super worms...
At one time I wanted to have a couple of every species of box turtle but then branched out into tortoises and kinda forgot about my box turtles. So now that I don't have many tortoises after my last trip to Calif I may try to add to my box turtle group...

DAC8671 said:
How big to they get? I'm considered taking this one in, but I don't know anything about them. I've been doing some reading this morning, but I've got a lot to learn. One thing I read was ABSOLUTELY not for children. Why? I have small kids (3 & 7). They are great with Ralph, my sully, but they don't pick him up anymore (too heavy for them). They are still fascinated with him though. So why not a box turtle for kids?

I would have to build a new enclosure for him so he can stay outside. Still undecided.

Box turtles are wild animals and do carry salmonella. A kid would want to handle them and may not be ontop of washing hands after holding the turtle. But they are wild animals and don't care to be held or messed with. I think a box turtle would not be a good pet for a child...

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
:( It breaks my heart to see the little Tweezer. I am really happy that he is with you now Maggie, he is very lucky to have crossed you path.

jorrow

5 Year Member
Alabama
Poor tweezer, at least he is being takin care of now. If you dont mind me asking what conditions was he in and for how long, to cause such deformity?

Oogie

5 Year Member
so...i decided to email the lady that was selling the ornate box in the craigslist add...here's her response:

"its not a box turtle its a russian ground turtle and is healthy i just have too many animals at this time and have to get rid of a few he is in good condition and never has had anything wrong with him. And i have found a home for him already."

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
a russian ground turtle? lol, She was wrong, and apparently doesnt know what it is.

Oogie

5 Year Member
yea...pretty sad. hope the new owner can actually care for it properly!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Oogie said:
so...i decided to email the lady that was selling the ornate box in the craigslist add...here's her response:

"its not a box turtle its a russian ground turtle and is healthy i just have too many animals at this time and have to get rid of a few he is in good condition and never has had anything wrong with him. And i have found a home for him already."

No wonder the poor little box turtle looks like it does. It has had to stay alive living in conditions and food fit for a "russian ground turtle!!" I'm glad she's found him a different home. Anyplace is better than there with her.

Yvonne

I sent her an email telling her it is a box turtle and the aquarium she's keeping it in isn't suitable, and if she doesn't find someone to take it off her hands to please do some research on box turtles and upgrade her care as the turtle shows signs of severe neglect.

Yvonne

jorrow

5 Year Member
Alabama
Is there such thing as a Russian Ground Turtle.... Or did she mean Russian Tortoise?

Status
Not open for further replies.