briannamichelle

Location (City and/or State)
Seattle, Washington
Hey guys, I was just wondering if anyone knows what kind of tortoise this is? I have a friend who said they think he was dumped by a river and we're trying to figure out if he's a russian or a maybe a hermann's tortoise. Thanks in advance! (Front, underbelly, back)
1688857817484.png1688857836118.png1688857851162.png1688857893944.png

briannamichelle

Seattle, Washington
Hi there - welcome to the forum. It is a Russian tortoise, who looks like they're in need of some tlc. Will you be keeping him/her? Lucky you and your friend found them, especially if they were by a river.

Here is a care guide to get you started: https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/the-best-way-to-raise-any-temperate-species-of-tortoise.183131/
That's what I was thinking! Yes, we plan on keeping him (not sure if its a him lol) I'm currently trying to set up an enclosure since he was brought into our care on a whim. Thanks for the care guide, this is our first tortoise so I was glad I found this forum - there seems to be a ton of great information. I'm banking on going to our local reptile shop to see if I can get some more guidance for enclosures too since I know he's gonna need a ton of space.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
It is a Russian. However, they are escape artist and before just keeping it, you should first try to find the owner. Many get out of their enclosures by digging or even climbing.
Contact local rescues, vets, pet stores and even run a post in the neighborhood forum to see if the owner is looking for it.
Then if no one claims him, he is yours to keep, but not before trying to find the rightful owners.

Ellie933

Mobile Alabama
What a sweetheart! It looks like a male to me, but it's hard to tell. I hope you take good care of him, especially with his beak being overgrown. Good luck!