What kind of tortoises are these?

Sandstorm019

Location (City and/or State)
Phoenix
I got these two tortoise recently, and I wanted to know what species and sex they are. Does anyone know?
WIN_20230720_15_29_37_Pro.jpg
WIN_20230720_15_30_03_Pro.jpg
WIN_20230720_15_32_01_Pro.jpg
WIN_20230720_15_32_25_Pro.jpg

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
need photos of their tails first and foremost, then undersides can be helpful too.

Also don't get mad when you hear people tell you this, but tortoises should not be kept in pairs. They can be kept in groups or solo, but not pairs. A lot of people get snippy when they get told that, because they aren't prepared to house two of them entirely separately, but just FYI so you hear it now...

Please read this as a good place to start:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
They're desert tortoises, protected by their home state. There are two kinds in the west. Yours might be the Gopherus morafkai

Last edited:

Sandstorm019

Phoenix
need photos of their tails first and foremost, then undersides can be helpful too.

Also don't get mad when you hear people tell you this, but tortoises should not be kept in pairs. They can be kept in groups or solo, but not pairs. A lot of people get snippy when they get told that, because they aren't prepared to house two of them entirely separately, but just FYI so you hear it now...

Please read this as a good place to start:
Yeah, split my yard apart with a plank to keep the separate because they'll start ramming each other. Here's their undersides and tails.
IMG_20230720_155329346.jpg IMG_20230720_155344175.jpg IMG_20230720_155538898.jpg IMG_20230720_155608149.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
After seeing the under side I'm thinking they might be a cross between morafkai and berlandieri

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
Wait for more experienced people than me to respond. To me first one looks female, second one I can't see much but I would guess male. But I'd wait for others to respond...

@zovick @Tom

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Please read that care sheet the SinLA linked for you.

Here is the correct care info too:

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
Huh! What am I? Chopped liver??
Lol I deliberately didn’t tag you because you were already replying to the thread.

I already feel when I tag people I’m like a little kid poking the adults in the room, so poking you when you are already reading it drops me to even further toddler levels of annoyance!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Lol I deliberately didn’t tag you because you were already replying to the thread.

I already feel when I tag people I’m like a little kid poking the adults in the room, so poking you when you are already reading it drops me to even further toddler levels of annoyance!
Poke away, I do. I figure it this way. If an alert is sent, they know they are needed on that thread. No alert, they could pass up that thread.