What plants do you use?

Spencertretter

5 Year Member
Hey guys, I'm wondering what everyone plants in their indoor enclosures for their Red Foots? I'm just wondering what can survive without real sunlight...I have a UVB 10.0 fluorescent reptisun bulb that covers the whole enclosure. I'm new to the whole plant thing so really I'm wondering how everyone keeps them without it dying, the specific type and where to get it. Any at general stores such as Lowes, Homedepot or Walmart? Not looking to spend a lot of money on them I just want to add some spice to my tank haha. Thanks!:)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Plants don't do too well under household lights. They need outdoor type light. I cycle plants in and out. I always have a small supply of plants to replace those that either die or are dying. But I have cuttings I grow from my existing plants. You're better off starting plants from seeds because plants from the nursery have systemic poisons in them that you would have to leach out for a few months before you could use them.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
Don't try to plant them direct in the substrate. Grow them in pots in proper chemical free soil or compost and have more on your windowsill. Then rotate them every couple of weeks :)