1. Welcome! Are you interested in tortoises? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our community is the #1 place for tortoise keepers to talk online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your tortoise and enclosure, and discuss any tortoise topic with other tortoise keepers. Get started today!

What temperature is safe for M.E.E and M.E.P

Discussion in 'Asian brown/black and Impressed tortoises' started by Alena, Jan 4, 2019.

1. Alena

Alena Member

It is sunny ...54 degrees farenheit/ feels like 51 degrees farenheit here in Lafayette Louisiana. Is that a safe temperature for my M.E.E. ( 11 inches /weight 10 pounds 6 ounces) and my M.E.P. (12 inches / weight 13 pounds 10 ounces) to be outside? Thank you. Alena
  2. Will

Will Well-Known Member 5 Year Member

Location (City and/or State):
    South of Southern California, but not Mexico
    (These ads do not appear for registered members.)
    Yes, that is safe. I have a heated night house that is kept at 70F, many times my adults (50-70 pounds) stay out of it. I chicken-out at overnight temps below 50F and put them in the night house.

Often they will roam around eat, and sit in the sun when temps are in the low 50'sF. I have seen one female go out and eat when the temps are in the low 40'sF and then go back into the night house.
    Tom likes this.
  3. Alena

Alena Member

Thank you @Will.
  4. Millerlite

Millerlite Well-Known Member 10 Year Member!

Southern Calif.
    I have a heat hide as well and usually my MT's use it. I have 2 though that will sleep in the hide with no heat. They stayed in there into the 40s and are fine. They still come out even in the 50s. They will sometimes make their way to the heat hide but they seem to do fine in the cool weather. Today was in the 60s and they were pretty active.

Kyle
    Will and Tom like this.
  5. Alena

Alena Member

Thank you. I saw pictures of your MT on the Tortoise Spot. How old are your Mountain Tortoises?
  6. Millerlite

Millerlite Well-Known Member 10 Year Member!

Southern Calif.
    My guys are 9-10 years old. My biggest is roughly 14inches give or take

Kyle
    Alena likes this.