What temperature is safe for M.E.E and M.E.P

Alena

5 Year Member
It is sunny ...54 degrees farenheit/ feels like 51 degrees farenheit here in Lafayette Louisiana. Is that a safe temperature for my M.E.E. ( 11 inches /weight 10 pounds 6 ounces) and my M.E.P. (12 inches / weight 13 pounds 10 ounces) to be outside? Thank you. Alena

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
Yes, that is safe. I have a heated night house that is kept at 70F, many times my adults (50-70 pounds) stay out of it. I chicken-out at overnight temps below 50F and put them in the night house.

Often they will roam around eat, and sit in the sun when temps are in the low 50'sF. I have seen one female go out and eat when the temps are in the low 40'sF and then go back into the night house.

Alena

5 Year Member
Yes, that is safe. I have a heated night house that is kept at 70F, many times my adults (50-70 pounds) stay out of it. I chicken-out at overnight temps below 50F and put them in the night house.

Often they will roam around eat, and sit in the sun when temps are in the low 50'sF. I have seen one female go out and eat when the temps are in the low 40'sF and then go back into the night house.
Thank you @Will.

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
I have a heat hide as well and usually my MT's use it. I have 2 though that will sleep in the hide with no heat. They stayed in there into the 40s and are fine. They still come out even in the 50s. They will sometimes make their way to the heat hide but they seem to do fine in the cool weather. Today was in the 60s and they were pretty active.

Kyle

Alena

5 Year Member
I have a heat hide as well and usually my MT's use it. I have 2 though that will sleep in the hide with no heat. They stayed in there into the 40s and are fine. They still come out even in the 50s. They will sometimes make their way to the heat hide but they seem to do fine in the cool weather. Today was in the 60s and they were pretty active.

Kyle
Thank you. I saw pictures of your MT on the Tortoise Spot. How old are your Mountain Tortoises?

Girodo

Las Vegas Nevada
There is alot of talk about minimum temperatures but what about maximum? Is there a temperature that is too hot or is it more about humidity? I am wanting a MEP but want to be sure i can provide it the correct environment. I currently live in Las Vegas Nevada and want an outdoor tortoise but have to keep in mind that i will be moving every few years so i can be relocated anywhere. This is one of the main concerns i have for deciding between a suclata and a MEP. Thanks for the advice.

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
There is alot of talk about minimum temperatures but what about maximum? Is there a temperature that is too hot or is it more about humidity? I am wanting a MEP but want to be sure i can provide it the correct environment. I currently live in Las Vegas Nevada and want an outdoor tortoise but have to keep in mind that i will be moving every few years so i can be relocated anywhere. This is one of the main concerns i have for deciding between a suclata and a MEP. Thanks for the advice.
Living in southern California we deal with heat in the 90s but nothing like Vegas. I would say it's possible if you do your enclosure right. Lots trees, bushes layers if shade pretty much. Sprinkler system would be a must. I use shade cloth in mid summer to help. My guys will. Ask in the sun all the time but I always have shade provided and water. In vegas a nice size water dish/ pond would also be needed. Leopard tortoises would probably be the safer bet or desert tortoises which would do great

Kyle