What to do at night?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Antiopi

5 Year Member
I am wanting to build an outside enclosure for my tortoise who ive only had a year, given to me by a friend who could no longer care for him. Ive read you should bring them indoors at night to prevent them from being stolen, i was just wondering what other owners do with theirs as mine likes to really dig into the ground when he basks and i feel bad having to wake him up and bring him inside into his indoor enclosure.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
If you feel the need to bring your tortoise inside for the night, there's absolutely no need to set up another habitat, an indoor habitat. If you leave the tortoise outside until evening, all he's going to do is sleep in a corner until morning, so why go to all the trouble of setting up another habitat? A small cardboard box filled with shredded newspaper will be fine. Bring him inside to the box at night and put him back out in the morning. He might drive you crazy for a while with his digging in the corner of the box, but that's what they do. If he were outside in his house, he would be digging too.

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
I have a little wooden box in my enclosure that I put mine in - and lock them up. I'm more worried about raccoons though - not someone stealing them.

elegans

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Raccoons are my primary concern also. Possums will dig up eggs, but I have never had one hurt an animal. I have had a couple of animals stolen from me over the years; almost always someone that worked for me, or a neighborhood kid. Douglas

agiletorts

10 Year Member!
San Jose, CA
Antiopi said:
I am wanting to build an outside enclosure for my tortoise who ive only had a year, given to me by a friend who could no longer care for him. Ive read you should bring them indoors at night to prevent them from being stolen, i was just wondering what other owners do with theirs as mine likes to really dig into the ground when he basks and i feel bad having to wake him up and bring him inside into his indoor enclosure.

I let my Ibera greeks pretty much outside all year around. They hibernate during winter (from Nov to Feb) here in N. Calofirnia.

kit-e-kat

5 Year Member
Gardena, Ca.
My Greeks are 4-5", 2 years old. I made their home, about 36" X 60", with wheels. It has a metal hardware cloth screened top. When it's bad weather, I roll their home into the garage. If you are concerned about theft, you can roll them in the garage or house when you are not home. On cold or rainy days, I use a heat lamp. With the convience of the wheeled enclosure, they get plenty of sunshine and protection.
If theft is a potental problem, and you want them outside, you may consider setting up a outdoor tortoise home within a lockable chain link dog run, with coverings on the bottom perimeter so they can't see out. I'm considering doing this when they outgrow their current living area.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
I use just a cardboard box or plastic storage tub (I prefer the plastic tubs, I can just rinse them out if they pee in there, which they sometimes do.) I wait until they start to creep off to start to burrow in for the night, and then just pick them up and put them in the tubs and carry them inside.

kit-e-kat

5 Year Member
Gardena, Ca.
kyryah said:
I use just a cardboard box or plastic storage tub (I prefer the plastic tubs, I can just rinse them out if they pee in there, which they sometimes do.) I wait until they start to creep off to start to burrow in for the night, and then just pick them up and put them in the tubs and carry them inside.

If you don't already, may I suggest covering them with shredded newspaper so that they can fell hidden and secure.

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
kit-e-kat said:
My Greeks are 4-5", 2 years old. I made their home, about 36" X 60", with wheels. It has a metal hardware cloth screened top. When it's bad weather, I roll their home into the garage. If you are concerned about theft, you can roll them in the garage or house when you are not home. On cold or rainy days, I use a heat lamp. With the convience of the wheeled enclosure, they get plenty of sunshine and protection.
If theft is a potental problem, and you want them outside, you may consider setting up a outdoor tortoise home within a lockable chain link dog run, with coverings on the bottom perimeter so they can't see out. I'm considering doing this when they outgrow their current living area.

I love this idea! I have Cherries so in the winter even though it's warm enough many days for me to put them outside during the day, nights are too cold. Right now I am carrying them in and out every day and it's a pain. Being able to roll them right into the garage sounds great!!! Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.