What to glaze wood with?? ALSO humidifier.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mckenzieg

5 Year Member
Good morning!

I spent THREE hours at Home Depot yesterday constructing a tortoise shelf with the help of the guy in the lumber department. It will be sitting in an area that will likely get wet, so I wanted to know what you guys recommend me coating the shelf in. I thought something like polyurethane, but he chews on everything and I would not want to coat it with anything that could be potentially dangerous to him. Ideas?

ALSO: I purchased a "personal humidifier" from Walgreens (http://reviews.walgreens.com/2001/p...nal-ultrasonic-humidifier-reviews/reviews.htm) and it looks to me like it's a lot like the zoomed fogger (http://www.google.com/products/cata...=X&ei=WiOKTdrDAo7msQPJ2ICHDA&ved=0CC8Q8gIwAg#). I was thinking I would get some flexible piping and make it resemble the fogger. Anybody agree or reject this idea? I haven't even opened the humidifier yet because I want to hear from you all.

Thanks so much!
McKenzie

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
So Cal
Instead of coating the wood, I use a shower curtain liner in mine. I'd be afraid to use any coating.

mckenzieg

5 Year Member
Well, here's the thing. The tank itself is glass. I just made a wooden shelf to maximize the room...so, only the shelf is wooden.

Nay

10 Year Member!
Belchertown Ma
McKenzie ,
What a good idea, using a humidifier!! I can't wait to hear what 'those who know, or have tried it all" say. I would think it couldn't hurt..Man they usually throw alot of steam..we used to run it all the time.
We have that one somewhere in the house, probably right along side the dehumidifier in the basement..
Oh, that is so cool.
Thanks Nay

Balboa

5 Year Member
PNW
The link for the personal humidifier didn't work, but I think I've seen those before, really tiny. I've wondered myself if they could be made to work in a small enclosure. They'd be way too small for mine, as it is I need to refill a larger humidifier at least once a day, sometimes twice. Good idea though, good luck.

As to polyeurathane, that's what I use. Spar, Helmsman, good outdoor stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.