What to put in sulcata tank

ahawley310

I just got my little baby and have no idea what to put in his home! I've read top soil is this a good idea? The pet store also suggest I buy a uv light which I have over the tank. How long should I keep that on during the day? Also should he have a heat lamp?

lismar79

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio USA
Yes, you need heat, this is very important for a healthy baby. They need a warm spot of about 90-95 degrees to bask in to digest food. They also need uv light too & I hope the pet shop did not sell you a coil bulb, those can cause blindness! If you did buy this, take it back and get a powersun bulb which is heat and uv. You can not go too cheap on this, powersun is a good brand and worth the $ to keep your baby healthy. Soilis fine but most will rec coco coir which is sold in pet stores in bricks, you soak in water and they expand. The bedding needs to be deep enough that they can dig into it. You will also need a water dish big enough that the can climb into (do not buy one of those plastic ones from a pet store, they are a flip hazzard!) Buy a small terra cotta plant saucer, they ork great and are cheap :) you also want a place for them to hide. Keep it by the warmer area and fill it with moist, not wet moss ( you can get at pet store or garden center) your baby also needs a humid environment to grow smooth. Spray down tank and keep it warm ( 85 ish) covering your enclosure with a lid works well. Its a lot to take in if your new but it is worth doing it all

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:) The links for care are also at the bottom of my post. What size tank do,you have? They really need a large enclosure to easily maintain proper heat and humidity.​

Reptilelove

Plymouth
Welcome to the forum! I would suggest coco coir for the substrate(the flooring) its cheap and easy to use. Uv light is a must and you can buy a uvb and heat lamp all in one and i have mine on from 7am-9pm :)

ahawley310

Thanks everyone looks like I have some shopping to do! I just have him in a smaller glass aquarium but sounds like that's not a good idea so will be building g him a wooden home this weekend! So can anyone also suggest what types of plants I can put in there ?

ahawley310

Ok! They didn't have the powersun but I found them on ebay is he ok for a week with the coil light?

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
Ok! I'm worried I hope he's not already blind! That makes me so mad

this happens so much it makes me sad :( Hes prob ok if it was just for a bit. But he does need heat, now. so go get a flood light or house bulb from any dept store until then. I also really really suggest getting a temp gun:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B009RUPQGW/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

Best thing I ever bought for my baby! that way you know hes not going to over heat or get sick from being too cold.

Plants- If you have Hostas outside in your landscape, go dig a few up if they were not treated with any chems. free & they do great in enclosures. if you have to buy plants from a garden center he can not eat for 6 months to a year after you rinse and re-pot them. You are best getting things from your yard or growing your own.

In a pinch- a big tupperware tote works great as an enclosure. Here is a link for ideas:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/ideas-for-indoor-enclosures.65798/

ahawley310

Not sure what plants we have outside I live out in the country in colorado have to do some research. So glass enclosures are not good right? Sorry to ask so many questions!

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
Not sure what plants we have outside I live out in the country in colorado have to do some research. So glass enclosures are not good right? Sorry to ask so many questions!

This is the place to ask lots of questions :)
Glass is fine if it is large, most of the time they are too small. Most will rec at least a 4' x 8 foot enclosure for a sulcata. I have a 6x4 for my baby ( who is going to be one in a few days). The more room the better, it alows you to create micro climates and hiding space. Glass is also scary for a tort baby. Because they like to hide and glass makes them feel exposed. Tape some paper along the bottom so he can not see out.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I just got my little baby and have no idea what to put in his home! I've read top soil is this a good idea? The pet store also suggest I buy a uv light which I have over the tank. How long should I keep that on during the day? Also should he have a heat lamp?

I typed out these threads just for people in your position. PLEASE read them. They will answer all your questions and give you needed info that you didn't even know about. Come back with lots of questions after you read them.

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/

ahawley310

Aww poor thing! OK I'll tape it up I also put a lower wattage light bulb in until my power source one shows up he seemed to like it he came out from under his enclosure and opened his eyes! One of them was actually stuck closed and I had to wipe it with a warm cloth probably from that coil light! But he was moving around a lot more!

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Tom's threads on healthy sulcata care are the best! You could put grasses such as bermuda grass in there, and they could eat it too. Good luck :D

ahawley310

Thank you so much! Built him the coolest house today I'm so excited to get him settled in! I let him run around the yard today and never knew they could get around so fast! He loved it! Lasted about 20 minutes now he's conked out lol

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Thank you so much! Built him the coolest house today I'm so excited to get him settled in! I let him run around the yard today and never knew they could get around so fast! He loved it! Lasted about 20 minutes now he's conked out lol
Unlike the stereotypical tort, they can actually move pretty fast :D