What type of tortoise fits my situation...

BEmom

Hello everyone! I have been reading so much information on these forums that I finally decided that I should join and ask questions about what I really want to know.
My family and I have decided that we would like to add a tortoise to our home and while researching the many different types of tortoises the sulcatas and the leopards have caught our attention. My concern in that we live in upstate New York and our temperatures drop well below zero in the winter. I am aware that both of these tortoises get large and both would still need to be housed inside(as would any other type of tortoise in freezing temps) but, I worry that it would harm them health wise not being able to get outside...
If anyone has any information or suggestions it would be very much appreciated. Would it hurt them to be inside for so long without being able to be outside? Are there tortoises that you feel would be better suited for us rather than the sulcatas or leopards?
(It's a big decision and I want to make sure we make the right decision for whatever tortoise we get.)

spud's_mum

Location (City and/or State)
United Kingdom
Hello everyone! I have been reading so much information on these forums that I finally decided that I should join and ask questions about what I really want to know.
My family and I have decided that we would like to add a tortoise to our home and while researching the many different types of tortoises the sulcatas and the leopards have caught our attention. My concern in that we live in upstate New York and our temperatures drop well below zero in the winter. I am aware that both of these tortoises get large and both would still need to be housed inside(as would any other type of tortoise in freezing temps) but, I worry that it would harm them health wise not being able to get outside...
If anyone has any information or suggestions it would be very much appreciated. Would it hurt them to be inside for so long without being able to be outside? Are there tortoises that you feel would be better suited for us rather than the sulcatas or leopards?
(It's a big decision and I want to make sure we make the right decision for whatever tortoise we get.)
I was looking at leopards first, then my parents said no as they get big and will need heating outside in the winter because they don't hibernate.

So, I got my little Hermanns tort and I love him :D
Smaller and more adaptable to different climates.

As they are small (up to 12" biggest), it is easier to create an inside enclosure for winter.
Or you can hibernate them.

Also they have great personalities, my spud is a little dare devil and climbs EVERYTHING
In his enclosure. Also if I walk near his enclosure he comes over to me.
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1435117297.307885.jpg

BEmom

Thank you for your response!! Your little guy is so adorable. I will have to do some more research about them!!

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
I was looking at leopards first, then my parents said no as they get big and will need heating outside in the winter because they don't hibernate.

So, I got my little Hermanns tort and I love him :D
Smaller and more adaptable to different climates.

As they are small (up to 12" biggest), it is easier to create an inside enclosure for winter.
Or you can hibernate them.

Also they have great personalities, my spud is a little dare devil and climbs EVERYTHING
In his enclosure. Also if I walk near his enclosure he comes over to me.
View attachment 135789
GOD bless - a very cute little tort.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan

Reading the care sheets as well as threads would help you here. Ask ANY question.

And a very warm welcome to the forum.

BEmom

Reading the care sheets as well as threads would help you here. Ask ANY question.

And a very warm welcome to the forum.
Thank you for the warm welcome!! I will definitely continue to keep reading the care sheets as they are really helpful.
I'm sure I will have lots of questions once we decide what type we are going to get because then we will have to make our enclosure. Althought I did find the great section on those as well. There is so much good info to be found here!

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
In your climate, I think you'd find it much easier and very rewarding to get a russian or a hermann's. They are charming and personable

BEmom

In your climate, I think you'd find it much easier and very rewarding to get a russian or a hermann's. They are charming and personable
Thank you for your reply. I am going to start doing some research on Hermann's now. Thank you for the suggestions.

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
Are you in upstate as in north of NYC, or actually in the northern part of the state?

BEmom

Are you in upstate as in north of NYC, or actually in the northern part of the state?
I am actually in the northern part of the state. If you have ever heard of the tug hill region that gets all the snow, that's right where I am.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hello, and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum.
it's great you've come to do some research here before rushing into anything, but that's the key.
Research.
if you research and prepare and know that you can provide the necessary, then any species is possible for you.
As has been said, Russians, Hermann's and also Greeks, like mine, are good starter tortoises which tolerate cold a little better than some.
But don't limit yourself, read the care sheets and look at the enclosures section, think about what you can and can't do, or afford, look at the space requirements, ask questions and take your time.
Good luck.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Any species can be housed anywhere in the world with enough time money and effort. It will take a lot of time, money, effort and SPACE to keep a giant tortoise in a climate with frozen winters. Some people do it and then realize within a couple of years that it was not the best choice. Other people persist and make it work. Personally, I don't feel like being cooped up in a basement for 7 months a year is a good thing for the tortoise, but if you have the means to build a giant gymnasium sized heated enclosure, then you could do it and do it well. It will need to stay at least in the 70's all year long and have extensive power sucking lighting.

It would be far easier to keep a species like a russian or hermanns in a climate like yours.

BEmom

Hello, and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum.
it's great you've come to do some research here before rushing into anything, but that's the key.
Research.
if you research and prepare and know that you can provide the necessary, then any species is possible for you.
As has been said, Russians, Hermann's and also Greeks, like mine, are good starter tortoises which tolerate cold a little better than some.
But don't limit yourself, read the care sheets and look at the enclosures section, think about what you can and can't do, or afford, look at the space requirements, ask questions and take your time.
Good luck.
Thank you for the kind words. I have been doing so much research! There is a ton of information on this forum alone that I am just taking my time to to read and make sure I am prepared. I have however found a sulcata on Craigslist that is in need of some help. I have been in touch with the current owner who bought it from a person who was moving away from the area only to realize he didn't know what he was getting into so now he wants to get rid of it. Right now it is being kept in an aquarium....which I know is less than ideal. My family has the means to take on a tortoise that is small now but will get very large. I am just nervous about taking the first step. I don't want to mess up.

BEmom

Any species can be housed anywhere in the world with enough time money and effort. It will take a lot of time, money, effort and SPACE to keep a giant tortoise in a climate with frozen winters. Some people do it and then realize within a couple of years that it was not the best choice. Other people persist and make it work. Personally, I don't feel like being cooped up in a basement for 7 months a year is a good thing for the tortoise, but if you have the means to build a giant gymnasium sized heated enclosure, then you could do it and do it well. It will need to stay at least in the 70's all year long and have extensive power sucking lighting.

It would be far easier to keep a species like a russian or hermanns in a climate like yours.
Tom,
I was hoping you would respond to me.I have been reading through so many of your posts on here! I have found a sulcata in need of some help and I would really love to help it since I have been doing most of my research over the past few weeks on sulcata's I feel like I could do well with one but it is very nerve wracking.