Whats my tortoise

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyberubu

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
New Jersey
They told me Sal was a black greek tortoise but I'm not so sure, does anyone have any idea's?

Thanks, Kathy

:tort:

Attachments

• july 24 010_25pct.jpg
    july 24 010_25pct.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 66
  • sal monella avatar_25pct.jpg
    sal monella avatar_25pct.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 75

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
I thought Greek also but I don't know this is just from other pics I have seen on the forum

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Your tortoise appears to be a Hermann's tortoise, not a Greek tortoise. If you can post a photo of the plastron we can tell for certain. It appears to be either an Eastern Hermann's, Testudo hermanni boettgeri or a Dalmatian Hermann's T. h. hercegovinensis.

If it is a "Greek" tortoise it is an Ibera Greek, Testudo (gracea) ibera. There is no such species or subspecies as "Black Greek". That simply refers to a color variation and is a sales gimmick more than anything else. Dark examples of Greek tortoises can be found commonly in the Northern Mediterranean Ibera and Middle Eastern subspecies of Greek tortoises. They also don't necessarily come from black or dark parents and will not necessarily produce black or dark offspring either.

cyberubu

10 Year Member!
New Jersey
Mao Senpai said:
Looks like Testudo graeca ibera. --Ibera greek tortoise.

I think your right, I did a search and the pictures look just like Sal!

Thanks, Kathy

GBtortoises said:
Your tortoise appears to be a Hermann's tortoise, not a Greek tortoise. If you can post a photo of the plastron we can tell for certain. It appears to be either an Eastern Hermann's, Testudo hermanni boettgeri or a Dalmatian Hermann's T. h. hercegovinensis.

If it is a "Greek" tortoise it is an Ibera Greek, Testudo (gracea) ibera. There is no such species or subspecies as "Black Greek". That simply refers to a color variation and is a sales gimmick more than anything else. Dark examples of Greek tortoises can be found commonly in the Northern Mediterranean Ibera and Middle Eastern subspecies of Greek tortoises. They also don't necessarily come from black or dark parents and will not necessarily produce black or dark offspring either.

Hi, I attached his bottom, lol

Attachments

• sal 1 25pct.jpg
    sal 1 25pct.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 42

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
I say Greek Iberra as well - often referrend to as a "black greek." Cute as a button too! :)

MatrixDJ

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Gorgious tort!! I feel that it is likely a hermanns tort. Greek tortoises have spurs and I don't see any on yours which would make it a hermanns. I'm still pretty new to this so I could be wrong however.

Tccarolina

10 Year Member!
CA
I see a hard tail spur, making it a hermann's.

cyberubu

10 Year Member!
New Jersey
GBtortoises said:
Based on your plastral photo, it's definitely an Eastern Hermann's, Testudo hermanni boettgeri.

Thank you everyone, I love the little guy :tort: what ever he is..:D

Kathy

Thank you to everyone with the helpfull information...

Status
Not open for further replies.