What's wrong with my tortoise's shell??

Status
Not open for further replies.

hellokatie

5 Year Member
This is Squirtopalous, he is a little over a year old, a Hermann's tortoise, Eastern i believe. Recently i've been noticing these little marks on his shell. they are small and white. they seem to be increasing in amount. i'm not sure what's going on here. i give him a bath every other day or more, i give him calcium supplements with D3 twice a week, i put a calcium bone in his enclosure. i'm getting really worried, so any advice will help. below is a link to a picture of the shell, i circled the areas that are easily noticable in this picture.

http://i46.tinypic.com/23ucsvm.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
As your tortoise grows, a mottling pattern similar to leopard tortoises and cherry head tortoises appears. What you are seeing is merely the normal design in the tortoises shell on the new growth areas.

chikken

5 Year Member
CT
Yvonne told you it's a normal marbling pattern of new growth on the shell. I noticed recently that my little guy has it too, it's perfectly normal, and it looks really cool. It's fine. :)

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
The swirls in the scute material are perfectly normal and nothing to worry about. :)
Can you post a plastron picture? I'm not quite sure that that is a Hermanns.

Danny

Status
Not open for further replies.