Wheat straw, eragrostis, teff, lucern, alfalfa, timothy. So many types of hay!

TheLastGreen

Location (City and/or State)
Johannesburg
I'm getting a leopard and I need help with the correct type of hay.
(It is a 4 year old South African, so it is staple for its diet.)
However I was not aware that hay, had so many types!
Can anyone help with specific types?Screenshot_20211105-172125_Chrome.jpgScreenshot_20211105-172129_Chrome.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Orchard grass hay is best, but I don't see that as an option for you. Bermuda hay is my second favorite, but I don't see that one either.

Teff is similar to Bermuda, so I know that one will work.

I don't know "eragrostis" or Lucern hay, but both look promising. We have hay grown here in the Lucerne Valley, but I didn't realize it was a different species of grass. I wonder about that one.

Avoid Timothy. It is too stemmy and tough. Alfalfa is also very stemmy, and also very high in protein. I occasionally add some alfalfa shake to my torts food, but I sift out the hard stems. I wouldn't use any kind of straw.

Most grass eating species will not eat plain dry hay until they get to around 12 inches (30cm). It can be introduced sooner, but I prefer to use fresh grown grass, or soaked horse hay pellets, along with a wide assortment of weeds, leaves, flowers and succulents for younger/smaller tortoises. I have two methods for introducing hay into the diet of my grass eating species once they reach the right size: 1. I make a bed of the hay, and feed them all their normal foods on a bed of the hay. This is the slow and lazy way, and it works wonderfully. Over time they just start eating the plain dry hay. You don't have to "do" anything. 2. For smaller tortoises you made need to take a more active role. I grab a handful of grass hay and cut it into small pieces with scissors. I then soak the small pieces in warm water for an hour or more. Then I mix the soaked small pieces in with their regular favorite food items, and over time they being to eat the hay too. Start with tiny tiny amounts. Start with so little that its not even noticeable to the tortoise. In time you can add more and more as they accept it. Using soaked horse hay pellets when they are younger and smaller makes this method work even better, especially if the hay pellets are the same type of hay you are going to use.

TheLastGreen

Johannesburg
@Tom with my tort being small (11cm plastron length) and her being 5 years old, should I stick with the smaller tort food or incorporate the teff to give a boost?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
@Tom with my tort being small (11cm plastron length) and her being 5 years old, should I stick with the smaller tort food or incorporate the teff to give a boost?
I'd stick to the other stuff for a while. Add some Mazuri if you can get it there, or grow some fresh alfalfa, or get some green beans to add in occasionally. A little protein once or twice a week will help, but be sure to soak often to maintain hydration. If you can get some horse hay pellets, just soak a pellet or two and mix that in with the other greens.