When do I worry about his jailbreak tunnel?

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Los Angeles
So Fezzik has started burrowing under his favorite hide, under the pavers I have set up along the edge of the perimeter of his enclosure (10' x 12'), and eventually could either dig his way under the exterior wall or dig down deep enough that me retrieving him will be an issue. It happens this hide is in the sun for a good part of the day so it gets hot (I have PLENTY of other, cooler hides for him to go into, but he likes this one) and he has started burrowing probably in part to stay cool and in part because, well, he's a Russian and that's what they do. He's currently about 2.5-3" down, and heading at an angle under the pavers that concerns me. I have filled it in with dirt a few times, but since that is loose soil he displaces is pretty quickly.

Do I need to put the kibosh on this now? or let him dig down and get cooler before I do something, and see if he stops on his own? Mostly likely I would replace the hide with a something with a bottom that I hope would stay cool but not let him dig (something like this): https://www.etsy.com/listing/1277890152/slate-cave-hide-10x10x45-for-fish-snake? but i also don't want to deprive him of his favorite hidey-hole...

Thoughts or advise?

Attachments

• IMG_6887.jpg
    IMG_6887.jpg
    937.9 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_6888.jpg
    IMG_6888.jpg
    798.6 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_6889.jpg
    IMG_6889.jpg
    887.3 KB · Views: 1

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I would stop it now. Take the hide and move it into a cooler spot and put him on it. Or if you can, move him and the hide together with him in it. Put it in a cooler spot and maybe he won't bother the other spot.
If he gets out of control with digging, lay some hardware cloth fencing or chicken wire down.
I had an old dog xpen that I laid on the ground and on the edge placed the fencing. Weeds etc grow right thru and in a year or two couldn't even see the xpen at all.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Another idea. Dig the hole or let him dig it and then place a flower pot or bucket at the bottom of the hole within the tunnel so he can't dig any further.

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
He has a ton of cool hides already, he happens to like "this spot" for whatever reason. I could add some vertical wire or rods down along the wall, that's a pretty good idea...

Almost every night at (his) bedtime he leaves this hide and walks over to his doghouse in the deep shade and puts himself through the swinging door. So he knows he has other/cooler options, he just likes it there...

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
He has a ton of cool hides already, he happens to like "this spot" for whatever reason. I could add some vertical wire or rods down along the wall, that's a pretty good idea...

Almost every night at (his) bedtime he leaves this hide and walks over to his doghouse in the deep shade and puts himself through the swinging door. So he knows he has other/cooler options, he just likes it there...
But does he like it there or likes the actual hide better than the others? That's why I thought to move it. If it's the actual hide he likes and not so much the spot.

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
But does he like it there or likes the actual hide better than the others? That's why I thought to move it. If it's the actual hide he likes and not so much the spot.

99% sure its the spot. The hide is just dirt and a cover, but that said ... you never know until you find out! Its a good idea and I will try that, even moving it a few feet to the right would give him "fresh" hard packed clay so he'd have to start digging again and it will take a long time for him to dig down as its really tough earth. Good for his nails though!