When good torts go bad...

Status
Not open for further replies.

chadk

10 Year Member!
Dozer has gone bad... I have to be quick, so I'll give the short version now. Pics and more details later...

Dozer met Tank. Just a quick pic. No touching or anthing. Just set them side by side, quick pic, and put them back... But Dozer has never been the same...

I was out building a pen in Dozer's area for tank and Dozer came and 'dozed' me. Snuck up behind me and started ramming me!! Then he started chewing on my shoe!!

He even came over and started ramming my yellow DeWalt cordless drill....

He has always been curious about or dog Tennyson. He would always head over to him and check him out. But 2 times now he came over, snuck up, and rammed the 100+ lb big white doggie!!

Then he rammed one of my boys. My boy thought it was pretty funny. We tried to re-enact it on video, but then Dozer would not cooperate...

Yesterday he had a wild hair up his .... and was cruising around the yard at top speed. Wasn't in the ramming mood, but cranky. He decided to tear off my downspout. I heard him grinding against it, so I put some rocks around it. Later I saw he had pushed the rocks away and had managed to get the lower end torn away from the wall. He would walk back and forth and push behind it and start pushing at it until finally the whole thing came down!! Then he went back to cruising the yard looking for trouble.

Bad to the bone I tell ya!

Like I said, pics and more details to follow...

katesgoey

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Wow, Chad. Makes my Leopard Tank's reaction to Bump seem mellow:) Since he got so revved up - are we sure Tank is not a Tinkerbell? :) Just curious.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
This is typical male behavior. It seems like they can go along peacefully for years, and never become grumpy or pushy, then you give them one instance...all it takes is ONE, and from then on, the male testosterone has to be exhibited! Can he smell the other tortoise (are they both outside)? When I bring in a rescue, I have to use one of Dudley's pastures until I can find a home for the rescue. Dudley is terrible the whole time that the rescue is on the property. Ramming the house (mine and his), ramming the fences. marching the perimeter of the pasture...and it takes a couple weeks for him to realize the other tortoise is no longer a threat and gone. I used to think the ramming was funny too, until one day he caught me unaware and got me a good one on my shin. It's definitely NOT funny!

Yvonne

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
I don't mean to laugh at the ramming behaviors, but it creates such a funny picture in my mind! Chewing the shoe, ramming the drill, are, I'm sure, not at all funny to those who have to guard their backsides against a possible unexpected push...did you give him a red card for these professional fouls?
:)

chadk

10 Year Member!
Yes, it is both funny, and NOT funny. Especially now that i really need to keep an eye on my 2yr olds. Not worried about the dog or the boys. They are quick and know what to expect now...

For those of you who have never witnessed the ramming of a fairly good sized tort, I was hoping to catch it on video. I have some pics, but you really need to see the video. He sneaks up, nice and slow, neck sticking way out as he checks you out from a distance, but as he get's up close and personal, the head is tucked in, he lowers his stance a little, and launches into a lunge, rocking from side to side while driving hard with his legs. It is not just a push, but a serious pounding with those sharp edges on the front of the shell.

Bad Dozer!!

Here is Tank. His smilely face sure reminds me of Crush from the movie Nemo...
29083_59312_Large_P5WL7Q0ekA8.jpg

Here is the pen I put him in during nice days. It is in Dozer's yard...
29083_59311_Large_swxMOnDTxPYKD1D.jpg

OK, so here is "The Incident", as I'm sure Dozer would call it. The great offense that got him all riled up... Maybe he thought the nice dark shell of Tank, pretty clean smilie beak, and clearly never been out in the dirt and mud in his life - was just a pretty boy loser that needed to be taught a good lesson...
26836_59297_Large_gHsMHbAJFK8pmeF.jpg

Here he is just looking for trouble. You can almost see that eye twitch like Clint Eastwood in Dirty Hairy:
26836_59302_Large_LqK08KnP8icTwg.jpg

"You talk'n to meeee?!?!!?"
26836_59303_Large_HxmskbWJzGoOv.jpg

This is what he thought of my nice new shoes right after he rammed me...
26836_59304_Large_rnUHqS3j75Wwhv.jpg

Then it was after the big ugly dog that dared lay down in HIS yard!
26836_59300_Large_OfGPA2xrpX1Xy.jpg

Tennyson is saying "Dang dude! What'd I ever do to YOU?!?!?"
26836_59301_Large_juNBVo5eEJcZfM4.jpg

OK, let's make up. We are friends again, right?
26836_59305_Large_ZMHr7zmw3vr.jpg

Love is in the air!
26836_59306_Large_sTm27Oa3pHUeZvQ.jpg

Ryland comes and sits. Tennyson thinks Dozer is getting a little too chummy for his liking...
26836_59307_Large_WH3ZG8FUW6l03DR.jpg

Well, maybe he isn't so bad after all.
26836_59308_Large_bQy4uGxLdZBoS.jpg

Ryland leaves. Tennyson looks away and is distracted.

LAUNCH THE ASSAULT!!

26836_59315_Large_dj61poTQqFkGQj.jpg

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
That dog doesn't look very happy with that tortoise Chad. Makes you wonder what animals must think of other animal species. Nice pictures, but you know better then to put two males together don't you? :p Well now you do! :D

chadk

10 Year Member!
Well, we don't know for sure what Tank is. And it was only for a few seconds.. But yes, lesson learned!!

Stazz

5 Year Member
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
AHAHAHAHA I know it shouldn't be funny, but to me, with my quiet little mad tort Tallula, Dozer sounds hilarious. He's obviously just trying out what he can and can't do in his territory. LOL. Poor Tennyson! You have such a beautiful doggie. And that pic of Dozer, he DOES look so naughty....just a mischief face !

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Chad I am so sorry to hear that Dozer is in a bad mood! But I have to say he is such a cutie when he is mad :p. Poor Tennyson, I am sure he was very confused about Dozer's attitude lol :D
I hope he will be back to his old self soon :)

chadk

10 Year Member!
Well, Dozer seems to have calmed down quite a bit even though Tank is still in that pen.

Oh, and after re-reading my posts... I really need to edit my stuff better. So many typos!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Teenagers, always stretching the limits and testing authority.

Nay

10 Year Member!
Belchertown Ma
Hi, love this info and story! Makes me glad I have Red foots, although when Jack is in a full run for my red toes(nail polish) I do a quick step!! It is a little unnerving and I don't believe he has ever 'rammed' Do they?
Na

chadk

10 Year Member!
I don't know about redfoots. They may try to bite and ram eachother though...

Mine has noticed my toes when I wear flip-flops. not sure if he would bite, but sure looked like he is about to. And does that every time I wear them. Something about having them down at ground level where i put food... I'm sure they don't smell that great ;)

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
Ha! I just wish Taco had the energy to try to ram me or one of our fat, lazy, glorified couch cushions. Fortunately, though, Taco is so small and light she couldn't do much damage even at full speed :) Good luck rehabilitating your unrepentant offender...maybe a long probation or some community service, like mowing Tank's yard.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
If the dog gets upset with him you might have more trouble..
those boards you have for the pen.. you are going to need to male it taller and maybe even thicker.. it wont hold a much larger tort..
welcome to the world or male sulcatas and why so many people get rid of them!

chadk

10 Year Member!
No, the dog wouldn't hurt a fly. And he'd an indoor dog and only out when we are with him.

The pen is temporary. Beefing it up won't be a problem when needed.

katesgoey

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Tennyson really doesn't look like he would hurt a fly. All of our dogs have left our tortoises alone, except for our Sheltie when Tank goes where he's not to (hence the cattle panels splitting the yard). She has an instinct to keep them where they are supposed to be, but because her instinct is also to "nip" them if they don't, she isn't allowed near them. I like the dividing fence you used and it does seem easily improved when needed. We are doing a similar thing between Tank and Bump, but today Tank proved its time to beef it up (caught him in Bump's pen ramming the little guy again, ugh!)

Status
Not open for further replies.