Where to buy edible plants for Hermann’s tortoise? Armstrongs?

mmags

Location (City and/or State)
CA
Hii, so I’ve been wanting to buy some plants for Humphrey’s enclosure but I just haven’t been able to find a place where I’m 100% sure that it’s safe for my tortoise in case he eats it.
I recently found out that Armstrongs Garden Centers grow plants 100% organically, but it does say on their site that they don’t use *synthetic* fertilizers, so I’m thinking they still might use a fertilizer of some sort
Does anyone know if I can purchase plants from here for my tortoise?

Paula Hu

Southern California, Los Angeles
oooooooo Armstrongggggg
I buy my substrate from there and I really like that placeee

Well since its 100% organic I would just worry about if the plant species is safe for my tortoise, like is the plant toxic for tortoises. I would check out boston fern and spider plants if there are any.

mmags

CA
oooooooo Armstrongggggg
I buy my substrate from there and I really like that placeee

Well since its 100% organic I would just worry about if the plant species is safe for my tortoise, like is the plant toxic for tortoises. I would check out boston fern and spider plants if there are any.
Haha I love Armstrongs too I was so happy to find out they grow organically! I will try it out but switch out the soil just to be safe

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
www.thetortoisetable.org.uk will help you find safe plants.
You also need to find out what sort of pesticides stores/garden centres use on their plants because they can harm torts too.
Have you tried growing your own or taking clippings from plants belonging to family and friends that you know are chemical free?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hii, so I’ve been wanting to buy some plants for Humphrey’s enclosure but I just haven’t been able to find a place where I’m 100% sure that it’s safe for my tortoise in case he eats it.
I recently found out that Armstrongs Garden Centers grow plants 100% organically, but it does say on their site that they don’t use *synthetic* fertilizers, so I’m thinking they still might use a fertilizer of some sort
Does anyone know if I can purchase plants from here for my tortoise?
Organic doesn't mean what people think it means...

Its CA law that decorative plants have to be grown with systemic pesticides to protect the whole country's food supply, of which a large percentage is grown here. Armstrong's buys their plants from the same wholesalers as everyone else who sells them. My wife's family used to own a pottery shop and Armstrongs was a direct competitor of theirs. Go to Armstrong's and look at the name on the sides of the containers. "Monrovia".

If this has changed in recent years, and they are now growing all of their own plants in house, I have not heard of it. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

There is nothing wrong with growing tortoise food with chemical fertilizers. Its the same nutrients they would get from "natural" fertilizers. Just make sure there are no other added chemicals like pesticides, fungicides, or anything else. And the tortoise should never have direct access to any fertilizer product, natural or otherwise.

The only way to safely grow tortoise food plants is to grow your own from seeds or cuttings, or scavenge from long established plants in safe areas. Or buy plants from a store, plant them, and wait at least one year before feeding out only the new growth that comes after that year.