which is better?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tuckerrl

5 Year Member
I just adopted my greek tortoise, Tanly. I was told to use sand for her home because it will help her nails, but the more research I do, I have read sand is bad for them. So my question is what should you use? Sand? Hay? Newspaper? something else? Please let me know. Thanks!

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
So Cal
You will get different answers to this, but I like 50% coconut coir and 50% play sand. I like to keep the top layer dry, and the under layers moist. Good luck! :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Most of us use cypress mulch, orchid bark, plain soil, coco fiber, or some mixture of these. I'd estimate we are about 50/50 on the playsand mixtures. Some people like it and some of us avoid it. Kimber has a lot of experience, so I'd trust her advice.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
For young Russian tortoises (and other Testudo) I use a mixture of about 65% organic potting soil, 20% coconut coir and the rest ground up sphagnum moss and leaf litter. This mixture allows for good moisture retention but still forms a solid substrate for digging in and good footing. I add flat stones in strategic places on top of the substrate for basking and solid footing. Most of my adults are only awake indoors for about 3 months so I simply use a thick layer of hay as their substrate. In both cases I spray the substrate 2-3 times daily to keep in semi-moist. This is especially important for young tortoises, not so crucial for adult Russians.
I used sand as part of the substrate mix until I took a good logical look at it. The sand was always clinging to the tortoises eyes and mouth and anywhere else there was moisture. I've found no purpose that the sand serves except for some heat retention. Large stones do that and cannot be ingested. I've seen no other purpose for the sand that another, safer material can't provide.

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
Welcome to the forum, Tuckerrl! :D

Congratulations on your little Tanly.

You may want to browse through the "Greek Geeks" and "Enclosures" section of the forum for lots of valuable information on keeping Greeks. :p

Please post some photos of your torty for us to admire. :cool: Here's one way: http://tortoiseforum.org/thread-5245.html

speedy

5 Year Member
Chicago subs
tuckerrl said:
I just adopted my greek tortoise, Tanly. I was told to use sand for her home because it will help her nails, but the more research I do, I have read sand is bad for them. So my question is what should you use? Sand? Hay? Newspaper? something else? Please let me know. Thanks!

I developed a coarse gravel like substrate,(I soon hope to sell soon) I love the color of reddish/pinkish tan. It is Ok if swallowed and does an excellent job of waste retention, which makes clean-up a breeze. I agree with GB on trying others to sand. It does stick to everything and does not hold waste/water in a clump but leaches/spreads but does not retain the moisture. It's a mess. Over my new product, my second choice is walnut chips. It doesn't cling as much as sand, but then... easier to remove. It doesn't file nails down (being only semi-abrasive) but is easy to work with, is safe, and makes clean-up pretty easy. It has a nice color to. Lets face it. We all want our setups looking the best. I've used soil, and sand (and never again), peat, gravels, synthetics. All fall short one way or another. All mold fairly quick, as most like to keep it moist, with peat molding the least. But peat does not make clean-up easy. I only use it for hibernation. 'Until I find a cheaper way to ship my "Stuff" try walnut chips.

M

Maggie Cummings

Speedy...I mean no disrespect when I say...you're nuts' I've used coir and sand, orchid bark, alfalfa pellets and the only one that molds is the alfalfa pellets. I use cypress mulch now and it doesn't mold and I keep if fairly damp...no mold...:D

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The walnut pieces you can buy in pet stores is usually from black walnet shells. This is toxic and NOT recommended for tortoises's substrate. It also can cause impaction if accidentally ingested with their food.

tuckerrl

5 Year Member
I bought loose coconut fiber substrate. I plan on mixing it 50/50 with the play sand. Thanks for all the imput.

I have been trying to post pictures of her, but the forum upload is saying my pictures are too large.

speedy

5 Year Member
Chicago subs
emysemys said:
The walnut pieces you can buy in pet stores is usually from black walnet shells. This is toxic and NOT recommended for tortoises's substrate. It also can cause impaction if accidentally ingested with their food.

I agree on the black walnut as being toxic. The walnut I have used is old english walnut shell chips. When I first tested 7-8 years ago, I also received a toxicity report. It is reported safe. I'll be careful to be more specific in any other posts. I had used it for near 5 years. Thanks for the heads-up on walnut.

Status
Not open for further replies.