White Dent

Marcus Harrison

Location (City and/or State)
Manchester, UK
Hello everyone,

As I joined the forum today, I think it's probably a good idea to get all my questions answered as soon as.

Since I bought my Tort, I have realized that the place I bought her from wasn't the best. It might be nothing but for as long as I've had her, she has had this small white circle on her shell and to be honest I never really thought about it as it's always been there and I thought that the place I got her from would probably have noticed it and sorted it, however I have learnt today that my tort is actually a Female and not a Male as they had told me so I am starting to doubt their knowledge about her.

So, I think to be safe I should ask you guys.

What is that on the picture? I know it isn't very clear but she is resting currently and I don't really want to disturb her so I will just use this photo for now.

Thanks for the help. IMG_0199.JPG

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Hello everyone,

As I joined the forum today, I think it's probably a good idea to get all my questions answered as soon as.

Since I bought my Tort, I have realized that the place I bought her from wasn't the best. It might be nothing but for as long as I've had her, she has had this small white circle on her shell and to be honest I never really thought about it as it's always been there and I thought that the place I got her from would probably have noticed it and sorted it, however I have learnt today that my tort is actually a Female and not a Male as they had told me so I am starting to doubt their knowledge about her.

So, I think to be safe I should ask you guys.

What is that on the picture? I know it isn't very clear but she is resting currently and I don't really want to disturb her so I will just use this photo for now.

Thanks for the help. View attachment 188432
It isn't at all clear.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Fair enough then, bit paranoid because of the lack of knowledge that the place seemed to have haha
Do NOT worry/panic. You'll hopefully get all the help you need here. After all, each and every one of us started from "ZERO."

Marcus Harrison

Manchester, UK
Do NOT worry/panic. You'll hopefully get all the help you need here. After all, each and every one of us started from "ZERO."
Thanks a lot. Suppose it was a bit pathetic of me but i'm a little protective that's all. Now that's cleared up, I can stop wondering haha

RosemaryDW

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Newport Coast, CA
Looks like an old ding to me as well. It's good to ask; better safe than sorry. :)

Is the second photo recent? You'll want to get that water dish replaced, if it hasn't been mentioned already. It's too steep and deep--a tipping hazard for tortoises. Use a large terra cotta saucer (from the plant store/nursery) instead.

Welcome to the forums!

Marcus Harrison

Manchester, UK
Looks like an old ding to me as well. It's good to ask; better safe than sorry. :)

Is the second photo recent? You'll want to get that water dish replaced, if it hasn't been mentioned already. It's too steep and deep--a tipping hazard for tortoises. Use a large terra cotta saucer (from the plant store/nursery) instead.

Welcome to the forums!
It was taken just yesterday. It is one of the things I'm hoping to sort out this weekend. Another lie told to me by the seller of my tort, "that dish will be fine".

I am hoping to build an upstairs at weekend with a ramp with little pieces of wood acting as stairs so she doesn't fall/slide. I will make a little house underneath and have a little area on top for her. I think it will be better than what she has now, something to explore.

Thanks for being so nice to me, it was a bit of a silly question I suppose, I was just wondering.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Thanks for being so nice to me, it was a bit of a silly question I suppose, I was just wondering.
Don't worry about the silly questions- we've all been there.

We're all in love with our torts and want everything to be perfect. Even 46 years down the line that slight feeling of panic sets in on occasion and I have to give myself a good talking to. We're going for fridge hibernation for the first time ever this winter (Joe has double box hibernated every year until now)... my latest silly questions are about to start!

Marcus Harrison

Manchester, UK
Don't worry about the silly questions- we've all been there.

We're all in love with our torts and want everything to be perfect. Even 46 years down the line that slight feeling of panic sets in on occasion and I have to give myself a good talking to. We're going for fridge hibernation for the first time ever this winter (Joe has double box hibernated every year until now)... my latest silly questions are about to start!
Scary!! What are the benefits of hibernation? Surely you and the tort are better off staying awake all year?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
We have had our Greek for 46 years. He has always hibernated in winter with one exception when he was recovering from illness.

He spends the entire year outdoors with the run of our entire garden (See here) apart from hibernation.

That one winter indoors - he had our entire dining room - was incredibly stressful for him and us. He needed more space.

The only sensible option for us is to get the temperature stability of a fridge to cope with what climate change has done to our winter here in Kent.

Hibernation is not mandatory and I would never push new keepers into it. For the old guys like ours though ... it is :)

RosemaryDW

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Newport Coast, CA

Not to worry, it's a common question. I'm a fairly new owner and posted earlier this year about a ding I was sure was safe but I had to check anyway.

Don't feel bad about taking bad advice from the pet store; they don't tend to know much about tortoises.

However you end up feeling about hibernation, many experienced keepers would say you've not had your tortoise long enough to consider it this year. You need to be sure they are entirely healthy first. Not saying yours isn't but you need to get to know him better. :)

Marcus Harrison

Manchester, UK
Not to worry, it's a common question. I'm a fairly new owner and posted earlier this year about a ding I was sure was safe but I had to check anyway.

Don't feel bad about taking bad advice from the pet store; they don't tend to know much about tortoises.

However you end up feeling about hibernation, many experienced keepers would say you've not had your tortoise long enough to consider it this year. You need to be sure they are entirely healthy first. Not saying yours isn't but you need to get to know him better. :)
Thankyou so much! Currently, I don't see myself Hibernating her ever.. maybe this is just a temporary feeling but
A) It seems complicated
B) I'm not sure I could cope
C) I want to watch her 24/7.

Thanks for the advice!

Marcus Harrison

Manchester, UK
We have had our Greek for 46 years. He has always hibernated in winter with one exception when he was recovering from illness.

He spends the entire year outdoors with the run of our entire garden (See here) apart from hibernation.

That one winter indoors - he had our entire dining room - was incredibly stressful for him and us. He needed more space.

The only sensible option for us is to get the temperature stability of a fridge to cope with what climate change has done to our winter here in Kent.

Hibernation is not mandatory and I would never push new keepers into it. For the old guys like ours though ... it is :)
Wow, 46 years! I like it! don't know about Hibernation though, don't like the idea at the moment.