Not open for further replies.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I'm so glad they helped him across. I didn't realize how helpless they are on the ground. That was very sad to me. I wonder why he came down from his tree.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
I saw this on the news this morning...For sure happy it was helped across the road.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
emysemys said:
I'm so glad they helped him across. I didn't realize how helpless they are on the ground. That was very sad to me. I wonder why he came down from his tree.

Probably for the same reason that deer cross the road, or turtles, or rabbits - expanding their territory, looking for food, looking for mates, etc.

I do know that those claws can be very dangerous. They are extremely strong, which is why he picked it up the way he did.

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
Grate video thank's for posting it :) if you Google three toed sloth they have a couple more videos like that pretty cool animals

SnakeyeZ

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Wow that's neat! I knew they were extremely vunerable on the ground but this video really shows just how helpless they are! I'm gad someone helped the little guy across.

harris

10 Year Member!
Ohio
I love these dudes. A nature show I saw about 15 yrs ago still sticks with me to this day, where a bird of prey snatched one of these guys from a tree and took it back to its' nest to eat it. Poor little fellar was alive the entire time they were rippin him apart.

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
Whoa what a weird little creature!! Now I'm sad I didn't see any sloths when I went to Costa Rica last summer! And here I thought the wild monkeys/iguanas/alligators were cool :p
Glad they helped the freaky little dude :D

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
We saw a couple of sloths in Costa Rica (a three-toed and a two-toed), but both were high up in trees, not trying to cross a road like this one. They do come down to the ground from time to time to defecate, and to move to another tree (unlike monkeys, they don't swing from tree to tree). They don't bite, but gotta watch out for those massive claws!

Status
Not open for further replies.