Why tortoises need UV

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedfootsRule

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Miami, Florida
I'm making this thread for those of you out there with questions about why your tortoises need UV light. Some ask, why can't I just supplement with d3? Recent studys (and, well, just common sense!) can tell you that supplementing is not the same thing. Without precise scientific measurement, knowing how much your reptile needs to how much calcium it is getting in its food, growth, current health and activity, and MANY other factors, over or under-supplementation can occur. Over-supplementation can eventually lead to death, and under-supplementation the same if some other sort of UV light is not provided.
First you need to understand, what does vitamin d3 have to do with UV? All reptiles have a chemical in their body that, when exposed to UV rays, is manufactured into vitamin d3. This vitamins d3 is then in turn used by the reptile to absorb and metabolize calcium. Without UV, there is no d3, and without d3, calcium can not be absorbed. This quickly leads to metabolic bone disease and death.
So, the bottom line is, use a Mercury vapor or some other sort of UV light. The bulbs should be replaced every six months or so. This will keep your reptile FAR healthier then supplementing with some sort of d3 power. That, or keep them outside in the natural sunlight if possible. Natural sunlight is the best by far. It, in my experience with red foots, can also bring out their colors, and make them far prettier.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Florida, USA
Thanks for the info. I knew that without UV, torts (and all living animals for that matter) cannot absorb calcium properly, but I didn't know why. Thanks for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.