Wild caught painted turtle

tortoise_man2

This is my wild caught painted turtle... Do not worry i am not over the legal limit of wild turtles per species...

He is so tinyImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1402444390.174825.jpg

David S.

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Medford Oregon
what do you mean not over the legal limit per species to my knowledge the limit of wild caught species allowed is 0

Maverick

5 Year Member
what do you mean not over the legal limit per species to my knowledge the limit of wild caught species allowed is 0
This would depend on where you live, in my state you can purchase a license to collect up to a total of four non-protected species from the wild. While it may not be popular, it's not illegal.

tortoise_man2

Well here in Michigan, you just need a fishing license to "harvest" painted turtles from the wild. But you can only have one of a particular type of species and can only have two wild caught turtles total...

David S.

michiganice91

5 Year Member
Well here in Michigan, you just need a fishing license to "harvest" painted turtles from the wild. But you can only have one of a particular type of species and can only have two wild caught turtles total...

David S.

That looks like a midland if I'm correct? I also have a wild caught midland from Michigan. He/she now lives in sunny SoCal and has not mentioned missing the mitten once yet ;)

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
OH, USA
AWW! So cute! Make sure you have the accomadtions for when he gets bigger, because he won't stay that small forever!
Here is a good website for painteds. www.austinsturtlepage.com/Care/caresheet-midland_painted.htm

tortoise_man2

michiganice91, it is funny that you brought up its subspecies. I had never questioned my older sisters word on what type of turtle lived here. Turns out she said we had easterns, I just found out that we only have midlands...Lol

Yellow Turtle01, I have a large garden pond in my back yard with a turtle proof fence around it. so I have plenty of room for an adult painted turtle. But thank you very much for giving me the name of the website, I am sure I will be able to use it at some other time.