Wild Russian Tortoise

Emily C

Location (City and/or State)
Metro Detroit, MI
Hi all,
I'm new to the forums. I've had my tortoise, Aloe, for 6 years now. I was wondering what you guys do when your babies go through their wild phases, not wanting to stay in their enclosure. Sometimes she wants to walk around a ton and sometimes she just picks a spot and plops down. Aloe has been on a roll recently, after "hibernating" for a month. I tried a small animal canvas activity pen but she sometimes feels trapped (even though it is quite large) and will get upset. Sometimes she's content on a fleece blanket near me. Just was wondering how you guys handle the crazies. The vet says its normal for Russians.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Newport Coast, CA
Hi Emily!

I’m confused. Does your tortoise have a permanent indoor and/or outdoor enclosure?

Tortoises feel unsafe when they are placed in new enclosures and will pace the walls or hide a lot until they get comfortable in the new space. That’s not “the crazies.”

My Russian does pace a certain spot in the yard in the summer and early fall. Every afternoon, like clockwork. Then she goes to bed. Her outdoor space is huge; she’s testing the one spot where she can see light through the fence. She knows there’s something beyond the wall.