Winter gardens

Sh3wulf

5 Year Member
I am starting winter gardens for our Leopard tortoise, Benny. We had our first slight frost last night, so it's time to gather the crops in and try and keep them growing over the winter as much as possible.

Here's a shot of garden bin 1
ImageUploadedByTortForum1382298590.343939.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortForum1382298602.760469.jpg Benny couldn't be less interested

How do you other unfortunate northern dwellers garden for your tort in the winter? Or am I just nuts? My husband says it's the latter and I have tort-brain

Last edited by a moderator:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Okay, really, is your hubby so wrong?:p :D. I'd like to know how you still have dandelions? The last two years I would grow weeds and grass from seeds. This year, I am trying to winter and keep growing hibiscus, cactus, and seeds I purchased. The seeds are usually a breeze. It's the hibiscus and cactus that I may have problems with.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I have a beautiful plot of land rimmed by railroad ties about maybe 30'x20'. All summer it grew zucchini, but last week-end I pulled that all up and planted a long row of red lettuce and another row of turnips. The lettuces will continue to grow even through frosty nights (if it doesn't get down to a real hard freeze). The seeds are sprouting already.

I love the nice variety in your little tub garden.

Sh3wulf

5 Year Member
Yvonne G said:
I have a beautiful plot of land rimmed by railroad ties about maybe 30'x20'. All summer it grew zucchini, but last week-end I pulled that all up and planted a long row of red lettuce and another row of turnips. The lettuces will continue to grow even through frosty nights (if it doesn't get down to a real hard freeze). The seeds are sprouting already.

I love the nice variety in your little tub garden.

I have garden plot envy. Living in ON with a tort baby makes me hate the cold here even more!
Tub two is fairly similar, but I am starting some lettuce and kale seeds in that one so it's just dirt mostly.
Yeah, my husband is totally right. I have tort brain when I'm envying a tortoise garden. Lol

tkoehle

5 Year Member
I think it's amazing, but I would put a 100 watt cfl over it to get it to grow. VoodooGarden is a guy on YouTube he uses CFCs to grow all sorts of thing you should check him out.

TigsMom

5 Year Member
Arizona
I've been saving some clear plastic boxes/trays that I get cookies from the bakery in. Thinking they'll make nice mini green houses for greens to get started for the outdoor enclosures and more importantly for my Daughter's Sulcata hatchlings' indoor habitat. It'll be fun trying different seeds and mixes. I plan to try them outside as well as in my bay window inside.

Kirin

5 Year Member
Chino, CA
I walked out back today and noticed my green beans are growing. Looked a little harder and found this....

I was soooo excited! I also have kale growing for my boys. I need to pull my bell peppers and grow some other wonderful food for my boys.

weldorNate

10 Year Member!
North Dakota
I just sorted out what plants i want to keep for my tortoise just put them downstairs under some grow lights even seed some lettuce to get some lettuce.

Tinkerbell

5 Year Member
Where's the best place to buy seeds for a hermann as want to grow some for the winter and what's the best weeds/flowers to grow?

Sh3wulf

5 Year Member
Wish I could send you all some of the dandelions, thistles and other stuff I grow so easily and to the chagrin of my neighbours lol

Sh3wulf

5 Year Member
ImageUploadedByTortForum1384089184.214405.jpg Benita, formerly Benny but not now that Oliver has forever traumatized me lol, enjoying one of her winter gardens and a visit with my daughter
ImageUploadedByTortForum1384089264.268552.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1384089271.597920.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

BatTort

5 Year Member
Denver
What all do you have growing and have you picked up on any favorites? I'm trying to decide what to put in my own garden. :)

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Sh3wulf said:
Benita, formerly Benny but not now that Oliver has forever traumatized me lol, enjoying one of her winter gardens and a visit with my daughter

Benny is so beautiful!!!!