Wintering hibernation

cstomi

5 Year Member
Hi!
I would like my Mediterranean Tortoises wintering. They held indoors.
I thought that, one of the relatives balcony to put them out for a few weeks , months , to reach their wintering temperature.

My question : Indoors kept tortoises out of the room at this time, can be put outdoors, at night the temperature is around 10 Celsius? Of course I would do them hide seats good hay filled .

Other: I would like to wintering them in the refrigerator (which is in the room ). What kind of the size of the animal 's breathing ? Five Tortoises in a refrigerator? Twenty Celsius air in the room ventilated to them , how good ?

Thank you for your answers :
Tom

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

Here's a link to a good refrigerator hibernating article written by a well-known tortoise person in the UK:

http://www.tortoisetrust.org/articles/Refrigerator.htm

One thing that triggers the tortoise to start slowing down is the length of the day. So turn off your lights earlier and shorten the light cycle.

I think opening the refrigerator door occasionally to have air exchange would be ok. I've seen pictures of refrigerators filled to capacity with tortoises. Many more than 5.

cstomi

5 Year Member
Thanks for the quick answer!
What do you think on the balcony from the room?

WithLisa

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Austria
I think it's a good idea to put them on a balcony to prepare for hibernation.
10°C at night is no problem for them.

cstomi

5 Year Member
Hi, I have a question: Wednesday will be three weeks that I put the band on the balcony. Too protected the balcony. For this reason, the temperature does not rise very much in warmer weather. They were very passive. Question: In winter will not be too dehydrated? Too empty urinary bladder? I afraid of the to mach and high gastro-intestinal contents(temperature was 8-15 degree). I'm starting afraid.