Won't eat cuttlebone

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Lewisville, Texas
Well that’s interesting because he just loves it. I’m pretty sure I read some where it’s fine. I’ll say this I’ve read many interesting facts about Tortoises and to be honest some say yes and some say no and it confused me ... so I just go with my gut instinct I also feed him lots of kale and romaine I’ve tried other tortoise friendly greens but he says (my tortoise) yuk lol and peep this my co worker has a tortoise and he’s a big boy and he eats all kinds of fruits n veggies like squash and zucchini and bell peppers and watermelon which is his fav and he’s already 50 years old. It’s called love and our pets know this that’s why they live so long.

I’d be very careful with the broccoli. I would say to not feed it, because it’s full of oxylates (don’t know how to spell it lol) that bind calcium. Also, make sure you feed kale as part of a varied diet, and not every day. Kale has the potential to be good, but too much of it is harmful. Romain is also ok as part of a varied diet, but has little nutrients. Please take a look at other things it can eat :)

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Well that’s interesting because he just loves it. I’m pretty sure I read some where it’s fine. I’ll say this I’ve read many interesting facts about Tortoises and to be honest some say yes and some say no and it confused me ... so I just go with my gut instinct I also feed him lots of kale and romaine I’ve tried other tortoise friendly greens but he says (my tortoise) yuk lol and peep this my co worker has a tortoise and he’s a big boy and he eats all kinds of fruits n veggies like squash and zucchini and bell peppers and watermelon which is his fav and he’s already 50 years old. It’s called love and our pets know this that’s why they live so long.

Yes its confusing because a very little amount helps your tort but a lot is bad for them . And as good tort parents we can’t let them have everything they want like kids and candy alittle is ok . The only fruit I give my torts is strawberry green tops , but my torts would eat all the strawberry’s they could get !

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Russian tortoises almost never (if ever) consume cuttlebone. In 30+ years of keeping the species I have never seen one take a bite of cuttlebone. Some Testudo species seem to consume it more often such as the Hermann's subspecies, Marginateds and Egyptian tortoises. I've rarely ever seen any of the Greek species consume it either. I have noted that different species consume it at different stages of their growth development and even at different times of the year.
So if the choice is to use a calcium powder I would suggest using if sparingly. I've never thought it was a good idea to coat foods with supplements. You may be "force feeding" levels of calcium and other supplements that the tortoise doesn't need at that time. I believe that it's better to offer calcium powder separately in a small shallow container for them to consume when they want to rather than coating their food with it and forcing them to consume it. From personal experience I can tell you that they will consume powdered calcium when they want to if it's available at all times. The same as having cuttlebone in their enclosure at all times.

San Jose
Yes its confusing because a very little amount helps your tort but a lot is bad for them . And as good tort parents we can’t let them have everything they want like kids and candy alittle is ok . The only fruit I give my torts is strawberry green tops , but my torts would eat all the strawberry’s they could get !

Well that sounds good only every now and then in small amounts will be ok I’ve yet to give my baby strawberries so far he does like green apples

San Jose
They might not find cuttlebone, but we have seen tortoises eating dead animals, carrion, presumably for the bones. Eggshells, oyster shell, crushed coral all seem fine as well.

I cleaned his tank today and gave him fresh forest flooring and boy oh boy did he get upset with me. He ran around his tank sniffing and looking at everything and he gave me the stank eye lol one thing I’ve noticed is that Tortoises are very sensitive and they do have feelings and they let you know when they’re happy or sad and when my baby is upset he hides his head under his bushes or log and gives me his butt lol I think because he’s male he marked his territory everywhere and when I changed everything out his scent was gone and that upset him. Tortoises sure can be stinky too lol :D

Reptilian Feline

Sweden
They seem to like things that are white... and there are plenty of things in the wild that is white... dead bones, bird poop, rocks, eggs, snail shells.... I'm sure that what ever they find, they'll pull out the small skillet, grinder, and start cooking :p or just eat it raw.

Oliver&Stoick

South Wales
Hello!
I have the same problem with my Herman. I find that if you put food on the Cuttlebone they will eventually bite into the Cuttlebone and realise that it tasts good and eat more.
But that might only work for my Herman.

Oliver