Worried newbie

Status
Not open for further replies.

sidandpolly

5 Year Member
I've had my hermanns for about 3 months and one is substantially bigger than the other, is this normal? Also the smaller one is sleeping a lot more than the bigger one, is this also okay? At night there light goes off at 8pm and back on a 8am. We live in a small 1 bed flat which does not get cold, is there anyway to keep there sleeping area warmer to make sure it does not drop below 20c

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:) be sure there is no bullying going on, which may be making the smaller one stay in hiding/sleeping. Also, tell us what your day and night time temps are and the basking temps. Some one will be able to help you if needed.

sidandpolly

5 Year Member
The do try to mount each other sometime. I really do not want to separate them if I can help it. I haven't got thermostats in the table yet to tell the temperature. These will be purchased tomorrow.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Most tortoises don't get along with each other. If there is bullying, they will have to be separated or the little one or the one being bullied will get sick and possibly die. Tortoises are really better living alone, unless you have very large area, lots of sight barriers and mor then three tortoises and the correct sex ratio. I would separate and see if the little one acts better. Also, deff need something to regulate temps.

dannel

5 Year Member
Saskatchewan, Canada
To keep the sleeping area warmer you can use a ceramic heat emitter on either a thermostat or a timer so it goes off and on at certain times in the night to keep the temp relatively stable.

Status
Not open for further replies.