Would this be an idea or?

Status
Not open for further replies.

thanja

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Denmark
Hey hey

Im about to build a new home for my tortoises, and i looked aournd the internet for inspiration and materials. I found some pics of a table for tortoises and just want to know what u ppl think of it..

Link to the table i found for sale <----- Sorry but the page is in danish..

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That's really quite beautiful.

I would think you'd have to be careful how high the lights are above the substrate.

gogot76

5 Year Member
You might not want it cuz it is like a glass terrarium and we all know how bad those are!

thanja

5 Year Member
Denmark
emysemys said:
That's really quite beautiful.

I would think you'd have to be careful how high the lights are above the substrate.

the measurements of the table is about 90 x 90 cm and 43cm high.. but it aint mine yet, but im think about building one like this, but i dont know if its the best way, but i think it looks cool so i wanna hear U ppl opinion before i do anything else than think about it... :)

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Really nice looking.
Some torts (not all) bang against the sides if they can see out, so a wood edge along the bottom about 8" would prevent that. It would also make it easier to put in a sturdy liner (pond liner, etc.) on the bottom to really make it waterproof.
After all, no one really uses that silly sand, most substrate is somewhat moist, at least underneath. And what if they tip over their water dish? :rolleyes:

As long as it is easy access through the lid, and high enough to accommodate lights, it looks like a good use of space.

And perhaps set the fluorescent tube light on the long side of the enclosure to make it brighter (instead of concentrating the light all on one side)

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
My concern about a combination tortoise-box/coffeetable is stuff getting knocked or dropped through the opening...if you're going to build your own, perhaps a lift-out screen in place of that large opening. And make it as roomy as you can.

Looks pretty cool, otherwise

diaboliqueturtle

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
Wow, that is very, very, friggin' cool! As long as the middle part is "clumsy-proofed" (mostly referring to myself here ;-) and there's easy access, that'd be a fantastic looking enclosure. As far as the glass goes, that's what I have and neither of my girls have ever spent any amount of time trying to walk through, a couple bonks and they move on so that's really up to your tortoise as to cover it or not.

thanja

5 Year Member
Denmark
To all of u that mentions the big opening in the table, there is already glass, so things dont just fall down the gap.. but i appreciate ur comments and suggestions. thanks.. i havent bought it yet, but im sure thinking about it, but its a bit expensive so i have to persuade my husband ;P

Tortus

5 Year Member
Maryland
That looks really nice but I imagine 2 leopards would outgrow it quickly. I wouldn't spend a lot unless you plan on using it for something else later.

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
It's cool. Also coffee tables are on a high traffic area could be very stress full, especially on game day haha.

Maybe if you want to keep the table design make it an end table. Or something. Also the other thing I would be nervous about is ventilation in there, or even heating.

It's cool tho! I've seen Fishtank tables those once are cool too

Status
Not open for further replies.