Yummy pinkies!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Beaumont, CA.
It may be life in the wild but not in my house with my redfoots.
They get their protien but do not eat animals.
Everyone is different.

Creedence

5 Year Member
Sacramento, CA
kathyth said:
It may be life in the wild but not in my house with my redfoots.
They get their protien but do not eat animals.
Everyone is different.

How do they get their protein?

taytay3391

5 Year Member
Iowa, USA
diaboliqueturtle said:
When I asked for them, I honestly thought they'd be dead and frozen. I was ambivalent about feeding them live, although one died before it was mealtime.

My Facebook friends know I'm a turtle nut but now, they see us in a whole different light ;-)

We were laughing at each other's reaction as well as how excited Princesse was about her treat. Frankly, I barely gave a thought about the pinkies, they're food.

It must be a great day when they come across a nest in the wild, or a chick that fell off a nest. They are good foragers.

Thank you! We love her to bits, she's so awesome and personable :)

Ya, we always go bonkers when watching "animal planet" , whether on the tv or live versions ;-)

Yup, she ate both in 8 minutes 25 seconds :-D

Frankly I had mice as pets so yea I give a hoot.

BrookeB

10 Year Member!
Bodfish
Made me happy I don't own a redfoot.... Very sad :(

EKLC

5 Year Member
I would stick to dead pinkies. Tortoises aren't very efficient killing machines, so it's just more humane that way.

Yellow Turtle

5 Year Member
Indonesia
HLogic said:
The same way they find/catch chicken in the wild!

Lol I just imagining red foot chasing chicken in the wild. Unless it is some bird hatchling that fall down from trees, don't think they will ever eat chicken in their life :D

BowandWalter

5 Year Member
taytay3391 said:
Frankly I had mice as pets so yea I give a hoot.

My rat flipped balls, I guess he could hear some noise the baby was making.
I bought frozen pinkies for my toad once, they looked just like they were sleeping and I couldn't bring myself to feed them to him. They had an honorable burial in the yard.

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Beaumont, CA.
Mine get their protein from the Pro Plan cat food recommedned on Turtletary.com.
They are extremely healthy!
:)

cmitch

5 Year Member
Reno nv
My redfoot sick if I thought he'd eat one I'd give it to him in 2 seconds but think he's to small to eat one.

Creedence

5 Year Member
Sacramento, CA
kathyth said:
Mine get their protein from the Pro Plan cat food recommedned on Turtletary.com.
They are extremely healthy!
:)

Interesting :eek: Sorry if I came off as rude, was legitimately wondering what they ate haha. I was like "....tofu?" haha :)

diaboliqueturtle

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
EKLC said:
I would stick to dead pinkies. Tortoises aren't very efficient killing machines, so it's just more humane that way.

Agreed.

Yellow Turtle said:
Lol I just imagining red foot chasing chicken in the wild. Unless it is some bird hatchling that fall down from trees, don't think they will ever eat chicken in their life :D

*snort* That is funny!

leonardo the tmnt said:
That's awesome!

I thought so too :)

cmitch said:
My redfoot sick if I thought he'd eat one I'd give it to him in 2 seconds but think he's to small to eat one.

Actually, I found out the red foot ate pinkies when I saw a video of 2 hatchlings sharing one.

Liam Owen said:
Woaah I didn't know that red foots ate meat, especially pinkies cool:)!!

Ya! I'm pretty excited about it, and I recon the Princesse is too ;-)

RosieRedfoot

5 Year Member
Columbia, SC
Yes, if I were to give Rosie a pinky, it'd definitely be dead. It looked like a long painful death for the pinky. I know they're food, but still... Just personal preference.

I love rodents as pets too much to own a snake or meat eating lizard. Not to say I haven't fed a snake or a raptor, but cutting up and thawing dead rodents made me sad even though I knew the birds/snakes needed to eat too. But I was thankful they were pre-killed.

Rosie gets insects, mazuri, and eggs/chicken for her protein. I'm thinking of buying some wax worms to raise for her though. I can handle feeding insects, but not baby rodents.

I'm getting some baby gerbils in a few weeks and can't see baby rodents as anything but pets. At the last repti-con I went to I had to resist buying all the fuzzies/furred because they were so cute and were squeaking tons because they were cold/away from mom and kept in bare plastic tubs awaiting being eaten..

But I digress.. Beautiful tort!

Yellow Turtle

5 Year Member
Indonesia
This tube reminds me of some old belief in my country that eating pinkies are good for health.
I saw my grand pa's friend ate an alive pinky long time ago. Dip it in liqueur, and shallow it alive. Pure protein and calcium!

bigred

10 Year Member!
Southern California
It makes me want to go buy some pinkies, I have 4 adult redfoot torts and they are great for the egg laying females. I havent gotten any for awhile but my big redfoots swallow them whole. When I had a big group of ornate boxies they would rip limbs off and really go for the pinkies. Im sure any turtle or tortoise that came across a nest in the wild would be a great day for them

diaboliqueturtle

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
RosieRedfoot said:
Yes, if I were to give Rosie a pinky, it'd definitely be dead. It looked like a long painful death for the pinky. I know they're food, but still... Just personal preference.

I love rodents as pets too much to own a snake or meat eating lizard. Not to say I haven't fed a snake or a raptor, but cutting up and thawing dead rodents made me sad even though I knew the birds/snakes needed to eat too. But I was thankful they were pre-killed.

Rosie gets insects, mazuri, and eggs/chicken for her protein. I'm thinking of buying some wax worms to raise for her though. I can handle feeding insects, but not baby rodents.

I'm getting some baby gerbils in a few weeks and can't see baby rodents as anything but pets. At the last repti-con I went to I had to resist buying all the fuzzies/furred because they were so cute and were squeaking tons because they were cold/away from mom and kept in bare plastic tubs awaiting being eaten..

But I digress.. Beautiful tort!

I was not expecting them to be alive, ill know to specify dead for the next time. And thank you, she is a beauty :)
How is Rosie liking her new enclosure? It looks amazing.

bigred said:
It makes me want to go buy some pinkies, I have 4 adult redfoot torts and they are great for the egg laying females. I havent gotten any for awhile but my big redfoots swallow them whole. When I had a big group of ornate boxies they would rip limbs off and really go for the pinkies. Im sure any turtle or tortoise that came across a nest in the wild would be a great day for them

Oh cool! I have a 3 toed boxie as well, so soon-ish (she's 7 months old) they can have an eating contest :-D

jtrux said:
Makes me want a redfoot now!

If I didn't have her I would want her :-D

Sammy

5 Year Member
Hong Kong
I feed mine egg white and Mazuri for proteins.

Status
Not open for further replies.