ZooMed Deluxe Porcelain Clamp Lamp Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Washington
That is odd it is only rated to 100 Watts--most are higher, like 250 Watts. I've always heard to get a fixture rated to well over the wattage of the bulb for MVBs, so from what I know I don't think that is rated high enough. I bet others might say it is fine though. Make sure you mount the fixture on a lamp stand so you can adjust the height to quickly adjust the temperature, and that the bulb face is parallel to the substrate and stable (not clamped to the side of the enclosure), as otherwise, you risk danger to the tort and the bulb longevity. Good bulb choice!

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
May I suggest you check out your local hardware or home improvement store and may find them cheaper and with higher wattage rating (and with a bale for hanging).

Seiryu

10 Year Member!
SE Michigan
Itort said:
May I suggest you check out your local hardware or home improvement store and may find them cheaper and with higher wattage rating (and with a bale for hanging).

Larry - I actually did just that today. That particular fixture I have had for a year (got it for $6 on clearance) and I've just been using it as a basking bulb lamp.

Home Depot - $13 for a ceramic lamp fixture, and it's one of those wide range fixtures, not very concentrated. Is this type OK? The hood was huge.

Lowes - No ceramic, just plastic

I got one of these today

http://www.petstore.com/ps_viewitem...a&utm_medium=cse&utm_campaign=pscseshopzilla2

From PetSmart, had a gift certificate.

Kate - I'll read up on needing a higher wattage for MVB. I won't be getting these until October for winter as I take Thor out for over 12 hours a week (plus has a 5.0 UVB flourescent).

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
Seiryu said:
Itort said:

Larry - I actually did just that today. That particular fixture I have had for a year (got it for $6 on clearance) and I've just been using it as a basking bulb lamp.

Home Depot - $13 for a ceramic lamp fixture, and it's one of those wide range fixtures, not very concentrated. Is this type OK? The hood was huge.

Lowes - No ceramic, just plastic

I got one of these today

http://www.petstore.com/ps_viewitem...a&utm_medium=cse&utm_campaign=pscseshopzilla2

From PetSmart, had a gift certificate.

Kate - I'll read up on needing a higher wattage for MVB. I won't be getting these until October for winter as I take Thor out for over 12 hours a week (plus has a 5.0 UVB flourescent).
Try Menards, I get them for about 7 or 8 dollars. You can also find them at farm supply stores (rated to 250 watts) in the poultry area.

Seiryu

10 Year Member!
SE Michigan
Itort said:
Try Menards, I get them for about 7 or 8 dollars. You can also find them at farm supply stores (rated to 250 watts) in the poultry area.

Never heard of a Menards. I got two at Walmart (up to 300w, 10" diameter) for $10 each.

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
Seiryu said:
Itort said:

Never heard of a Menards. I got two at Walmart (up to 300w, 10" diameter) for $10 each.
They may not be in your area yet. I know they have a store in Lansing.

Status
Not open for further replies.