“5 worst pet tortoise species” video by GST

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Los Angeles
there’s a new GST video out today. I know we’ve discussed with mixed feeling about some Garden State Tortoise videos, but I do like his videos where he focuses on the challenges and negatives of tortoise ownership. I thought this video was interesting for the things they focus on, such as the wild pet trade for SOME (but not all 😞) species, and I thought by talking about space needs for some they imply you *can* keep others in small spaces, which is unfortunate, but anything that discourages people from getting Sulcatas is a win in my book. I feel like he could do an entire twenty minute video on why not to get a Sulcata!

To save you the suspense here are the five they talk about
5. Leopards
4. Certain (but not all) species (or are they subspecies?) of Greek
3. Hingebacks
2. Aldabras
1. Sulcata

they honorable mention Galapagos but note they aren’t really common in the pet trade, so not as much of an issue for the purposes of this topic

Last edited:

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
I watched it. He has a lot of good advice. But I noticed that he keeps his baby Bell's Hingeback in sand??!!

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
Yes he promotes sand and soil as substrates…

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Love how he is so do as I say but not what I do. Like he's the only one that can live in an area like he does, which is cold and snowy and have those tortoises.
I bet he doesn't stop selling them to the cold states.
I do believe he is right on with hatchlings being raised in colder areas adapting to the weather much better than an adult being brought in.

I don't agree with the mixing species, the Aldabra and the Radiated.
Also, that baby, the rare one is not only on sand, but already showing pyramiding.

I'd love to see his winter enclosures some time. Has anyone ever seen a video of that?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
It seems like the giant tortoises should be number one. Because of the obvious.
And tropical tortoises such as the "Footed" tortoises should be number two. Because providing a very large tropical ecosystem is difficult in most areas of the world.