😢 Found my tortoise eaten by something

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Jamaica
I am very sorry. What kind of wildlife is in your part of the UK?

S2G

AL
Thats so gutting. Im sorry. Ive been there several times. Raccoons are my usual suspects. My guess would be a fox over there.

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New Jersey
Wow.
Just … wow.
I am so very sorry for your loss.
😱🤯😭😭😭😭

Bb1

England
I’m in the UK so no raccoons, would a rat do something like this? There is some damage to the underside of the shell, like some of it is missing? She was in a secured run outside with chicken wire over the top, so this is really confusing. Never letting a tortoise out alone in the garden again, was thinking my setup was safe from predators😢

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
I’m in the UK so no raccoons, would a rat do something like this? There is some damage to the underside of the shell, like some of it is missing? She was in a secured run outside with chicken wire over the top, so this is really confusing. Never letting a tortoise out alone in the garden again, was thinking my setup was safe from predators😢
Did the run look like an animal had got in? Like raised up or anything? If not it is possible for rodents to fit through chicken wire, I can’t imagine a rat was capable but maybe if there was a lot of them😞
I’m sorry this has happened.. if you choose to own again I hope to see you stick around on the forum, we can talk you through setting up a safe enclosure

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
What size and species of tortoise?

Yes, rats could do this. I have temperature controlled insulated shelters that I use in all of my outdoor pens. Every night every tortoise is counted and locked in their box over night, and then the doors are opened the next morning. You can see what I'm talking about in this thread:

Tortoise Nana

Las Vegas, Nv
Found my tortoise eaten by something in the garden today, nothing left, just a shell. Some of its shell was missing under. Devastated, what can this be?
I’m so sorry to hear this. I know Joy must be devastated. Poor thing. I hope he didn’t suffer. 🔥